EM Car Legality
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BSabo

--
27 Mar 2014 10:50 PM

Greetings, I have been reading the SCCA rulebook for the past week. And would like to find if my current car is legal for the EM class. What I have is a 1980s Buick Regal that was built in 2010 for the UMP Street Stock rules. But since the racing sanction updated the rules, my car is no longer legal to do some dirt track racing. Like I said, the car is a 80s Buick Regal. We are still using the factory OEM body, firewall, frame, suspension, and half of the floorpan. What I mean about the floorpan is that the passenger side is gone. We also enclosed the passenger side as well (like a dirt late model/modified). We have a safe roll cage, but it is offset to the left side. And since it was a dirt car at first, we do not have a windscreen or any windows. We are also running a fabricated hood and trunk lid. And the trunk is open at the back of the car. It is not enclosed.

We are running a 355 cubic inch small block chevy with a 2 speed powerglide transmission with no torque converter. Basically direct drive. Based on that, I seen that the base weight for a unlimited piston weight is 1800lbs. Currently, with no driver or fluids, we are around 2300lbs. So I am curious on what the final race weight should be?

If I read the rules right, according to my thoughts, my car would be legal to EM. But the no windscreen, and exposed trunk is my biggest fears. With new slicks, and suspension setup, I believe it would be a fun car to run in EM!

Just trying to make sure that it would be legal before I put more money into it.

Thanks

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Mar 2014 10:03 AM
    I think it will be fine. There is no requirement for a windshield in mod, IIRC, but you have to wear eye protection or a full face helmet.

The trunk area could be more problematic, just because you might accidentally run afoul of the aero rules. I am sure any issue could be easily and cheaply fixed.

Do you have any photos? I could give a better opinion based on that.

DaveW
    BSabo

--
    28 Mar 2014 11:32 AM
    47CP- I can post detailed images of the car this weekend. Regarding the trunk area, just the part where the bumper would be is exposed. We are using a fuel cell, so I am not worried about the safety part. But the aero could be the deciding factor.
    BSabo

--
    30 Mar 2014 08:43 PM

Here are some images of the car that I am wanting to use for EM. I know that the car is rather large, and it would never get down to the 1800lb class weight. But I am just wanting to run the car again locally to have some fun again.

Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 Mar 2014 01:13 PM
    The floor pan may be an issue. If nothing else it probably gets you the modified tub wieght penalty. Might want to take at the CP & XP rules as well. They have an easier index and higher minimum weights.

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Mar 2014 01:28 PM
    In my not official opinion, the floor pan is fine but the car is definitely mod tub.

I don't think the back is technically legal, but I can't imagine that anyone cares.

With tube frame penalty in CP, assuming an engine larger than 310ci, your base weight will be up in the 3300+ range. I don't know how heavy that car is, but if it already isn't in that range, you might be better off (have more fun) in EM even though you are way over the minimum.

Have fun!

DaveW

F125AXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Apr 2014 06:03 PM
    This may seem like a silly question, but.....

Will the car turn right?
    bruecksteve
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 May 2014 12:06 PM
    I say bring it run. I don't think that anyone in EM would really complain to much. Of course, I can only speak for myself but...
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 May 2014 02:20 PM
    Looks like it's ballasted up in weight a lot, bring it and run it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner