Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
hklvette
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Mar 2014 05:25 PM

With "Street" going to 200TW in 2015, will ST be following suit?  If not, the verbiage in 14.3 needs to be changed to reflect that.  I sent a quick letter to the STAC asking for clarification, but figured its worth asking here as well.

Joseph Carozzoni

--
    01 Apr 2014 05:18 PM

Yes - ST will have the same TW rules as Street.  Per 14.3 for ST:

"Tires must meet the eligibility requirements of the Street category with the following additional restrictions..."

And the "following additional restrictions" are section widths.

alcino

--
    16 Apr 2014 02:20 PM

I'm assuming this change will kill off the current lineup of 140 and 180 tw tires.  Does anyone have insider info when these brands will start "re-numbering" their tires?  I'm hoping this will increase size options and possibly lower 200tw prices for CAM and other ST* classed cars.

-Alcino

Joseph Carozzoni

--
    16 Apr 2014 07:21 PM

I ordered Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R tires this AM for the 2014 season in B-Street.  TW180.  If they have sufficient tread left at the end of the year, they'll be street tires next year.  The Evo X is heavy, so I suspect I'll kill them this year.  As for 2015, I suspect you'll see nearly everyone {all?} offering TW200 next year.  2014 being a transition year, there are some challenges.

btwyx

--
    17 Apr 2014 07:45 PM
    Posted By Alcino on 16 Apr 2014 02:20 PM

I'm assuming this change will kill off the current lineup of 140 and 180 tw tires.  Does anyone have insider info when these brands will start "re-numbering" their tires?

Not insider info, Hankook have renumbered the RS-3 to 200. Bridgestone have renumbered the RE-11 to 200. Not to be confused with the Bridgestone RE-11A which is new and 200. The A doesn't work nearly so well for us, I just gave some away because I dislike them so much.

There's also the usual suspects in the BFG Rival and Dunlop ZII which are 200, which coincidentally appeared as the rules were published. The ZII is now discontinued in favor of the ZII * Spec, which won't arrive till autumn.

vvt4me
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 May 2014 07:46 AM
    I was going to buy new set of 195 Toyo R1Rs for my STC civic this month. Does this mean if I buy them they will be illegal next year? WTF. What the hell am I supposed to get now that will be competitive this year AND be legal next year? I dont have a bank account flush with cash to buy multipe sets of brand new tires. Absoluste bullsht. This is why I sometimes hate this fing club. They are trying to fix something that wasn't a problem. We all know treadwear numbers are subjective and bs anyway. Thanks SEB. What are EF Civic STC drivers buying this year for tires, then?
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 May 2014 08:16 AM
    Posted By vvt4me on 14 May 2014 07:46 AM
    I was going to buy new set of 195 Toyo R1Rs for my STC civic this month. Does this mean if I buy them they will be illegal next year? WTF. What the hell am I supposed to get now that will be competitive this year AND be legal next year? I dont have a bank account flush with cash to buy multipe sets of brand new tires. Absoluste bullsht. This is why I sometimes hate this fing club. They are trying to fix something that wasn't a problem. We all know treadwear numbers are subjective and bs anyway. Thanks SEB. What are EF Civic STC drivers buying this year for tires, then?

They won't be legal next year.  I'm surprised you were not aware of this since this has been out for six months.  Return your tires and buy Hankooks but expect to be off pace a little or keep the set and understand that after you run events this year, they won't be legal next year. Pick your poison.

gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 May 2014 05:31 PM
    Posted By Mario Linguini on 16 Apr 2014 07:21 PM

I ordered Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R tires this AM for the 2014 season in B-Street.  TW180.  If they have sufficient tread left at the end of the year, they'll be street tires next year.  The Evo X is heavy, so I suspect I'll kill them this year.  As for 2015, I suspect you'll see nearly everyone {all?} offering TW200 next year.  2014 being a transition year, there are some challenges.

Everything I've read suggests the AD08Rs would be the best tire for my situation, but I can't justify buying a fresh set for Nationals that won't be legal the next year.  

btwyx

--
    14 May 2014 06:09 PM
    Posted By vvt4me on 14 May 2014 07:46 AM

Its not like this is a surprise, this has been known for a year now. I'd guess 140 this year was to allow those with 140s to use them up with a years notice. That'll be almost 2 years notice to most people to move to another tire.

Try BFG Rivals or Dunlop ZII, they're plenty competitive and legal next year.

davebs14
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 May 2014 09:49 AM
    Ditto. While it may seem off base it's not the SEB's fault when someone doesn't read up every month and plan for such things.
    alcino

--
    30 Jul 2014 04:45 PM

Kumho may get in the action!  Two supposed reps(they had logo-ed hats) showed up at the San Diego Champ event (jul27).  They walked through group 2(minimally) grid with one taking photos of tires on cars and the other with a clipboard asking a few questions of competitors.  I heard some tire talk and quickly went over to talk to them.  They were a very vague on specifics but said they are "trying to get back into the competitive street tire category and have plans to release something early next year".  I told them "early" needs to mean Jan-feb else they lose possible customers from the warm weather regions.  I pressed them about expected tire sizes and stressed about offering wider options(275,+) in 15,17, and 18 in diameters for the CAM cars.  Also asked about price points.  Unfortunately no juicy answers or questions and the guy didn't write anything down I said, so CAM or I may not be their new tire demographic.

Spreading tire gossip,

-Alcino

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner