Another "wut class" thread
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
coneassasin

--
01 Apr 2014 08:09 PM

Hate to clutter with another classification thread, but I'm pretty confused at this point. Locally, I have a very nice class I can run in which only restricts that the car only run a 140 TW tire. The problem happens when I start going to other regions or competing nationally. If there is something I can change or remove that could square me in a nice national street tire class, I'm all ears. Car is as follows.

1991 Camaro RS

355 CI L98, modified aftermarket intake, headers, tune. This knocks me right out of ESP. Changing the motor would be the last option I'd consider.

Onto the suspension (copied from another board; I emboldened what i believe is messing up my classification)

GC Weight jacks
    1100# front 230# rear (going to 300#)
    Koni Yellows
    36mm front sway bar with Rodney Dickman Zero Lash end links
    Lee 600 series steering box, 12:1
    Stock torque arm with poly bushing
    Panhard lowered 2", GC adjustable panhard with rod end on axle side (lowered roll center)
    Founder's polyball/roto-joint lower control arms and axle side lower control arm re-locators (to get OEM geometry after lowering)
    Strano adjustable rear swaybar on lowest setting
    Del-alum A arm bushings
    Ronal R-15s with rt615ks.
    Alignment settings:
    -2.5 camber
    4.8 caster
    0 toe
    Corner balanced 50/50 cross weight
    3690# with driver
    Corner balanced and aligned by Darren at West End Alignment

Is there any national street tire class that I could possibly fit in? 

Panzer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Apr 2014 10:26 PM
    You can play in CAM, which is a nationally endorsed regional class that allows just about any American front engine/rear wheel drive car in street tires.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    coneassasin

--
    01 Apr 2014 10:29 PM
    I tried doing that this weekend for the Nats in San Diego; that region capped their CAM cars at 1978 :/
    whitecivic
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Apr 2014 10:30 PM
    I don' know what's so hard about the classifying your car.

1. Your engine is the number one problem, I see you in CP, XP? and maybe SM if you've left your suspension pick up points the same as stock.

My next question is what did you do to the internals of your engine to get 355 ci, because you can go .472 over bore and if that's all you did to get 355 ci you still can be in ESP but if you changed the rod length, change the crank to get those numbers, that engine is not SP legal.
    After that would be head work on your engine, it has to be stock (check rules for work you can do to the head), cam has to be stock, valve springs have to be stock, basically all stock internals.
    Was the L98 stock for your year of car or at some point was it offer as an option for the Camaro RS or Camaro's? you could be in the running.
    I don't think your to far out of the box but ask yourself from now on "let me read the rule book before I spend money on that?"
    One of the things that an old National Champion told me once was "go ahead and run that class but when you start winning your car better be legal".
    Others may chime in here and be more informative about the rule set but I hope it helps.

Ben
    coneassasin

--
    01 Apr 2014 10:36 PM
    The engine has non OEM heads, cam, etc. It's fully built. I built the car before I started autocrossing at SCCA events. I was hoping I could run SM; however the rule book is somewhat unclear (to me) about pickup points. I have lowered the panhard about 2" and the axle side of the LCAs to regain geometry after lowing the vehicle. I read "pick up points" as actually changing where it attaches on the chassis. But I may very well be wrong.
    whitecivic
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Apr 2014 10:47 PM
    I've seen some of your other post on LS1 Forum and some of your pic of your front and rear suspension, post pic's and that will give us more info. SM looking pretty good so far.

Ben
    coneassasin

--
    02 Apr 2014 12:40 AM

The rear suspension is what has my on edge the most; I could remove the relocation brackets but that would mess the geometry all up.
    coneassasin

--
    02 Apr 2014 12:44 AM

Gratuitous action shot.

marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    02 Apr 2014 09:02 AM
    Howdy,

Its too bad your local region decided to limit CAM to only old cars, because your car pretty much as it sits is one of the target markets of the class.

There's no other option where you'll be anything like competitive with your car as it sits, mostly due to tires. Sounds like you'd be legal for SM and CP, but both classes allow you to run race tires (DOT legal in SM, anything in CP). You can swap those on though and be closer to the front.

Note that if there's serious competition, your car just flat out isn't going to be competitive in SM and will only be competitive in CP with quite a bit of modification, most of which results in "no longer streetable".

All that said... If you're new to autox then bring the car out, slap "CP" or "SM" on the side, and have fun.  Most folks have at least a year or two of "learn how to autox" regardless of what car they're in before they're competitive anyway so come out, compare yourself to some known local benchmarks (ask around), and have a great time sliding your car around some cones!

Mark
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner