SMF rules question/clarification.
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Autoxgalant72

--
03 Apr 2014 02:30 AM

Hello everyone, after searching I can't find any clear answer to a few questions.

First off, is removal of sound deadening legal? Doesn't seem so since the rules don't specifically allow it, however if a vehicle where to have had its sound deadening removed is it possible to add a ballast or alternate sound deadening to make it legal? 

Second, with removal of a sunroof I do not remember seeing anything about any restrictions on materials, is this correct? I plan to shape a piece of aluminum and window weld it into place. I can do steel, its just not as easy (or light by like .0043 lbs)

Third, street prepared and sm rules talk about plastic fender liners are ok to remove as long as they are outside of the vertical hub face, what if they mount outside but in part extend inwards beyond this face. They have a section that travels along the front of the wheel arch towards the inboard plastic inner fender liner. If cut to leave the section inboard of the hub they will have no integrity and get ripped off in a short amount of time.

I'd like to make it to National competition this year and I'm trying to make the car legal so my I can just focus on having fun since I know I won't be super competitive.

Thanks in advance.

Autoxgalant72

--
    19 Apr 2014 06:15 PM
    Anybody have any ideas?
    madlib

--
    28 Apr 2014 05:46 PM
    Removal of sound deadening is not legal unless there was an existing model made with that option, then you can UD/BD. If it was removed and it was not supposed to, do your best to replace the sound deadening. However I wouldn't just add ballast in the trunk, for example, to make up for the difference.

Material for the sunroof replacement panel is unrestricted.

If you want the fender liners, it is possible to modify them by adding extra holes or whatever to mount them to the body according to the following rules:

According to the Street Mod rules saying "Any minor modification, intended to allow or facilitate any allowed modification, is permitted as long as it does not provide any intrinsic performance benefit in and of itself, does not provide a weight reduction of more than 1 lb., and is not explicitly prohibited elsewhere within these rules."

And, " Front hoods (engine covers), engine covers, trunk lids and hatches not containing glass, front fenders, rear fenders not part of chassis structure (unibody), front & rear fascias, and side skirts may be modified or replaced, and may be attached with removable fasteners. Associated hardware including latches, hinges, window washer system, and hood liners may be modified, removed, or replaced.

Or, you can just leave them off according to the Street Mod rule saying " Front hoods (engine covers), engine covers, trunk lids and hatches not containing glass, front fenders, rear fenders not part of chassis structure (unibody), front & rear fascias, and side skirts may be modified or replaced, and may be attached with removable fasteners. Associated hardware including latches, hinges, window washer system, and hood liners may be modified, removed, or replaced.

This is all my opinion.
    Autoxgalant72

--
    29 Apr 2014 11:30 PM
    Ok thanks, that clears up a lot. The part of the liner that would be removed is very light, there really isn't any point in retaining it unless I have to. I was just unsure since it wraps over the outside of the wheel arch and then runs between the bumper cover and the frame rail.

I was sure the sound deadening wasn't a legal modification however its impossible to find replacement since it glues on, I was just curious if dynamat or any other aftermarket sound deadening would count as a legal replacement part.
    madlib

--
    30 Apr 2014 06:58 PM
    Sent you a PM.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner