Mustang IRS swap
 12 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SN95.ohh

--
10 Apr 2014 12:43 PM

I have a 1994 Mustang with a 2003 Cobra IRS. I want to clarify whether or not this swap is legal in ESP. After reading the rules over and over I have convinced myself that it is legal through the updating rules.

Both cars are on the same line in Appendix A:

Mustang (SN95 chassis, NOC
    including Cobra & Cobra R)
    (1994-2004)

And this line from the rulebook convinced me as well "Porsche 911 models that are listed on

the same line are considered the same."

Any body have any thoughts on this? I can not seem to find any solid clarification on my issue.

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Apr 2014 04:02 PM
    Yes, my interpretation is that it would be legal in Street Prepared as well, since the two cars are on the same line (explicitly so).
    cdlong

--
    10 Apr 2014 05:18 PM
    As long as the installation meets certain restrictions of the update/backdate allowance, it's legal.

"The updated/backdated part or the part to which it is to be attached
    may not be altered, modified, machined, welded, or otherwise
    changed to facilitate the updating/backdating allowance. Standard
    factory installation methods, locations, and configurations are allowed."
    flikert

--
    10 Apr 2014 11:23 PM
    Iirc a couple mounting holes are needed for mounting the cradle. It has been a while though. A friend did this swap in his svo.
    SN95.ohh

--
    14 Apr 2014 06:51 PM
    Ya the holes I put in the trunk are the kicker. I feel the swap should be legal but rules are rules. Unfortunately I've built this car over the years before I got serious about racing. Looks like I might be in the market for a 99/01 Cobra soon so I can us my car as a parts car and swap everything over.
    cdlong

--
    14 Apr 2014 07:34 PM
    What holes? If the cobra has those holes, it should be legal. "Standard factory installation methods, locations, and configurations are allowed." If you had to cut out a section for clearance because the Cobra body is different, not legal. Nothing official, just my opinion.
    SN95.ohh

--
    15 Apr 2014 12:47 AM
    There is a bracket that the IRS subframe bolts too, and that bracket is bolted to the car. The new edge chassis(99-04) has all of the appropriate bolt holes for the bracket but the sn95(94-98) does not. In order for me to properally instal the IRS in my car I had to drill 4 bolt holes through the trunk and frame so I could fasten the IRS bracket to my car.

It is a very minor modification and I feel it should be allowed but rules are rules. The entire IRS attaches in all the same places and in the same manor as the cobra it came out of. Regardless, my 215hp 5.0 is way on the weak side to compete in ESP. I have a lot of thinking to do.
    cdlong

--
    15 Apr 2014 09:35 AM
    Sounds legal to me, but my opinion is far from official. I'd write a letter before abandoning that chassis.
    SN95.ohh

--
    15 Apr 2014 05:36 PM
    Part of me feels this has been been dealt with since they put all of 94-04 cars under one chassis. I do need to talk to an official.
    BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Apr 2014 03:29 PM

Drilling holes is where you get illegal. Just because the cars are on the same line, there isn't an allowance for drilling holes in a floorpan.

That being said, most reasonable people aren't going to have an issue with it at a local level. If you were coming to a national event and winning with the car, you'd be an easy protest. My advice; don't worry about it, have fun, and get legal once you get serious about autocrossing.

SN95.ohh

--
    23 Apr 2014 09:18 PM
    So can we agree that since the new edge chassis has all the necessary fixtures for the IRS that swapping one in would be completely legal? Like lets say buying a Mach 1 and throwing the IRS in one.
    The_Winch
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Feb 2015 06:49 PM
    I had a similar ESP car (95 with a 99 IRS and various parts from 97, 98 and 00 cars too.).

Greg Fordahl designed most of it (except the drive train). He has been chief of protest at nationals, has 5 jackets, and designed cars for plenty of others with jackets.

It is possible. Though there can be other reasons to start with a 99-04 car for this.

OTOH, the possibilities of building an ESP Mustang optimized for weight haven't fully been explored and the IRS adds weight.

None of this really matters unless you're trying to trophy at Nationals. (i.e. Strano or Schotz in a bone stock FS car would beat almost any ESP non-trophy car/driver and perhaps some of them in the trophy positions).
    andrewjohn1317

--
    16 Apr 2015 08:01 AM
    hey, you will just bought the car brand new, so it's best to compete with it as is, except for a spare set of wheels and good tires.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner