H street tires!
 14 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
coneassasin

--
24 Apr 2014 07:33 PM

I know we already had a R to Street tire thread for the Street; but what about H street? What are the brigade of Minis and that one guy with the Acura RSX running this year? I'm going to be taking a not so common car to H Street at nationals this year, as building my Camaro to full ESP legality will take some time...

btwyx

--
    25 Apr 2014 05:21 PM

We like Dunlop ZII in 225/45-16 on 16x7" wheels for our MINI. They worked better than BFG rivals in 225/45-15 on 15x6.5" wheels, or the Bridgestone RE-11 in 205/45-16 on 16x6.5" wheels.

The local guy who's winning GS (in a Focus ST) is running Hankook RS-3, which are now magically 200TW, so it makes me wonder if we should look at those.

What car? What wheel sizes do you have available, not forgetting the +/-1" rule and how big of a tire can fit?

Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Apr 2014 09:59 PM
    Give me a break re: the guy in the Focus ST running RS-3's. It's not like anyone is going to backstop you on a protest locally to someone running those tires, and by next year, they will be running V2 or some other tire. Focus on making your self fast and not whether you think some other HS competitor is bending some rule.
    racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Apr 2014 10:55 PM
    Posted By Z3papa on 25 Apr 2014 09:59 PM
    whether you think some other HS competitor is bending some rule.

Hmmm, you read that as him wondering if the RS3s are legal.

I read it as him looking into the RS3s to see if he wants to run them.

FocuST

--
    25 Apr 2014 10:57 PM
    I don't think that is what Barry meant. I think he is just commenting on the unknown change in the new RS3s. The guy he is referring to its running the old RS3s which are still perfectly legal. I am getting the new ones this week also in a GS Focus ST. Unfortunately I am not a good enough driver to tell what the difference is but someone out there will be at some point.

Sent from GN II
    coneassasin

--
    25 Apr 2014 11:17 PM
    Not sure what the third post is about...

At any rate, you're going to laugh at the car i'm going to running a car so incapable that the SCCA doesn't even list it in the rule book: a 2013 automatic Hyundai Elantra.

I know, I know... but it's the only other car I have while I slowly mold my Camaro into a legal ESP car.

That being said, I'm thinking RS-3 in 225/45/r17 for this turd of a car.
    btwyx

--
    26 Apr 2014 12:01 PM
    Posted By racingfool on 25 Apr 2014 10:55 PM

That's exactly what I was saying, I wasn't accusing Mark of cheating in anyway. I've been very impressed with his driving all year and I'm really glad the GS/HS merger didn't go through as I'd have no chance if I were competing against him. He's 2-3 seconds ahead of me. With results that good I can't help but wonder what I can learn from him, not that I imagine his impressive performance is just due to tires. I can however check to see what tires he is running.

I had not considered the RS-3 as an option as it was 140TW and I didn't want to fiddle around and find a setup I'd just have to change for next year. Then Hankook magically decided the RS-3 could be 200TW after all, the only duplicity I see here is Hankook understating the rating of the tire when they introduced it. With a 200TW RS-3 being legal and getting such good results I'm wondering if I should give them a go. The last thing I want is another tire option. I've run through enough (3) already and have a couple more I have ready to test.

kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Apr 2014 12:14 PM
    Posted By Barry on 26 Apr 2014 12:01 PM
    Posted By racingfool on 25 Apr 2014 10:55 PM

That's exactly what I was saying, I wasn't accusing Mark of cheating in anyway. I've been very impressed with his driving all year and I'm really glad the GS/HS merger didn't go through as I'd have no chance if I were competing against him. He's 2-3 seconds ahead of me. With results that good I can't help but wonder what I can learn from him, not that I imagine his impressive performance is just due to tires. I can however check to see what tires he is running.

I had not considered the RS-3 as an option as it was 140TW and I didn't want to fiddle around and find a setup I'd just have to change for next year. Then Hankook magically decided the RS-3 could be 200TW after all, the only duplicity I see here is Hankook understating the rating of the tire when they introduced it. With a 200TW RS-3 being legal and getting such good results I'm wondering if I should give them a go. The last thing I want is another tire option. I've run through enough (3) already and have a couple more I have ready to test.

what hankook said was that they rated it 140tw basically to match what the other extreme summer tires were doing - and that tires are allowed to be under-rated (lower #) tw-wise, but not over rated, which makes sense for normal commuter tires. regardless, rs3 v1 is being phased out and v2 is here

to answer OPs question, I think all the tires (zii, rival, rs3) are pretty close in ultimate grip and its more of a matter of preference. i believe the rs3v1's are pretty popular with the heavier cars and require a little more heat, idk how true that is. r1rs are still an option this year, but i dont know if you'd want to invest in those since they will not be legal next year

Alan Dahl
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 May 2014 03:38 PM
    I second the nomination that the ZII is the best tire, especially the 225/45-16 size which I run on my GS car. However they are out of stock at the Tire Rack in that size and other sizes are going quicky.

What's your "not so common" car? I used to race an Audi 90 Quattro in HS and I think one could do very well on street tires.
    coneassasin

--
    14 May 2014 01:30 AM
    2013 automatic Hyundai Elantra. 

Probably the most noncompetitive chassis to come to Solo in a long time...

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 May 2014 01:18 PM
    Does your Elantra have the 16" rims? If so you could switch from 205/55/16 to 225/50/16 and run the BFG Rival, RE-11A or Direzza which are all available from tirerack in your size. If you don't worry about trying to pinch a tire on the stock rim, then the RE-11A and Direzza are available in the stock size (no Rival in that size) and the new RS-3 is available in that size as well.

Any of those tires should work. HS is really about driver.
    Victor Lim

--
    19 May 2014 07:00 PM
    2013 automatic Hyundai Elantra.

Probably the most noncompetitive chassis to come to Solo in a long time...

I beg to differ: 

http://www.azbrscca.org/autocross/results.html

2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8s automatic, original stock motor and suspension.   And RE11As  
    btwyx

--
    21 May 2014 02:18 PM
    You link doesn't link to any specific result.

But if you want to prove your point you could always come out to Crows Landing and compete.
    Victor Lim

--
    22 May 2014 11:14 AM
    OK, let me try again. My point is that Solo is just about 85% driver, and perhaps more so for H street, in particular. Looking at Nationals results, the Mini dominates the class. For local events, there is greater diversity in the level of car preparedness and driver skill. So, with regard to chassis competitiveness, and considering it's an interim car, the automatic Elantra may be just as viable as the next car. The original post may have recognized this in the query of what tires to use - in my case, RE-11As.

Another way to look at it is the care and scrutiny that go into every season's PAX/RTF factors. The whole point of this formula is its attempt to level the playing field between the ultra fast track-only cars and the daily drivers. Combined with evaluation and re-classing of individual models every year, any car that shows up is afforded a consistent method for rating and ranking performance.
    btwyx

--
    22 May 2014 03:21 PM

Since the RE-11A has been mentioned, I don't like it at all. The RE-11 is a great tire, but not quite up to the ZII level of performance. I found the RE-11A to be slower than the RE-11. I think Bridgestone realizes this, which is why the RE-11 is back as a 200TW tire.

I'd still take a ZII or Rival over an RE-11.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner