C7 Z51 with or w/o MRC?
 9 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
nathanprovo

--
26 Apr 2014 01:27 PM

I have a 2014 Corvette Z51 on order w/o MRC (magnetic ride control), I have a few days to change the order, so I wanted to get any thoughts on how well these shocks/technology might perform when compared to aftermarket adjustables.

I have been running a C5Z06 with koni singles for the past 10+ years on r-comps.  I will likely be running the C7 in Super Street.

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Apr 2014 11:45 PM
    I'm afraid there aren't many people who've run both to know. However, a Chevrolet calibration engineer I talked to thought that an aftermarket adjustable would be preferred for Autocross.
    lost won

--
    30 Apr 2014 01:13 PM

Depends on your requirements, Nathan.  For street use, the MRC sounds like the best compromise.  After all, Chevy spent a lot of money and research to make it so.  For autocross, with it's special needs for a lot of rapid transitions, a quality aftermarket adjustable shock with custom tuning for the C7 is probably the way to go.  Doubt if autocross was high on the list for calibrating the MRC in any mode.  Would love to see someone respected in the aftermarket shock industry to do a well documented comparison. 

One parallel to notice is the selection of a purpose built and tuned shock for the new Z-28, versus an MRC type system

Another interesting development is the announcement of an MRC option on the 2015 Impala SS...

Daily drivers used for autocross are always a difficult compromise.  Comfort versus control.  Choose your poison....

Good luck!

TedDBere
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Jun 2014 08:10 AM
    I have MRC on my '03 C5 and run custom shocks on my C5 Z06. I was never able to get enough rebound in the rear shocks with the MRC in Autox. It was, and is however, much more comfortable to ride around on the street with the MRC! I never tried to disconnect the MRC shocks to see what, if any, issues it created with the computer to see what would happen if I upgraded the shocks in the MRC C5.

If you can take the MRC shocks out of the C7 and upgrade the shocks to a good aftermarket set without messing up the computer and AH then that is what I would do just for the resale value of the car. IMHO. Good luck!
    nathanprovo

--
    28 Jun 2014 08:01 PM

I ended up ordering the car with MRC.  From what I have read the latest generation of MRC is very much improved from the ones on the C5.  Is it competitive in autocross?  Maybe for street tires it will be?  It will be nice to be able to adjust the shocks from within the car, and have a nice ride on the street.

As you suggest, if it is not, I can take them off.  I have read that later C5s and C6 computers could be reprogrammed so that you can remove the MRC shocks.

My car will be at the dealer about July 2nd (few more days).  I can't wait to get some miles on it and get it out to the next event.  

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Jun 2014 11:31 PM
    Assuming Street category, that reprogramming would have to be OEM to stay legal, not aftermarket. I think you'll be happy with the MRC shocks.
    nathanprovo

--
    29 Jun 2014 12:18 AM

If I remember right, from what I had read on the internet, the dealer can remove the programming for the shocks, so that it is essentially the same programming the car would have had if it were ordered without them.  Hope that is true and continues to be true for the c7. I would not do an after market reprogramming and void my warranty.  This is why I debated whether to get them or not.

nathanprovo

--
    04 Jul 2014 12:56 AM

Picked the Stringray up today just in time for the 4th of July weekend. 

She looks and sounds awesome.  Need to put some break in miles on her and get her to an event ASAP to see how she handles.

Attachments
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Jul 2014 01:14 AM
    Clean!
    nathanprovo

--
    25 Jul 2014 03:22 AM
    Well, I finally got to try out the stingray last weekend, and wouldn't you know it, it rained the first half of the day. Thankfully, It dried for the the afternoon and I ran it again.

Car was completely stock: Tires, ride height (its pretty high), alignment, and even tire pressures.

I was pretty rusty since I have only done 3 or 4 events this year. Ran the car in track mode on the race setting (no nannies), and as far as shocks go the MSRCs felt pretty good, the car reacted nicely in quick transitions. I plan to slowly make changes to get more grip/handling over the rest of the season and hopefully the shocks will be able to "keep up".

One very interesting data point, as to the performance of this car, was that I let a very good driver (evolution instructor), that runs a well-prepared AS C5 Z06, take his 3rd of 5 runs in my car, which ended up being his best time by just under 0.1 seconds, in a car he has never driven that is stock in everyway imaginable. Although it doesn't prove anything, I and many others were surprised by that result. It was also very encouraging, since the car will only get faster as improvements are made and as I get to know the car.

Next change will be to lower the ride height using the stock adjustments. After that I will give it an alignment (probably use the settings specified in the manual for track events), and then the big decision on what size wheels and tires, and tire brand.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner