What can I do to my car?
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Its_Masters

--
05 May 2014 10:54 AM

I recently found out that I'm going to be in Street Modified class only because put in a more durable stage one clutch.  Seeing how I'm going to be in  this class, and less competitive because of it, what else can I do to my car and still keep it in this class? Just wondering because my Legacy isn't going to be very competitive at all only having that clutch... I didn't think it would kick me out of a stock class for a near-stock clutch, so I wanted to ask some suggestions on mods. Thanks!

autocrossaddict

--
    05 May 2014 04:09 PM
    Pretty much anything that falls under the standard tuner build list goes. Trying to avoid the overly technical details, but if the car is still mildly livable as a daily driver, you are probably still in SM. If it's a change that would mean driving to the grocery store is not possible (notice I didn't say comfortable...), then it probably isn't fair game.
    Joseph Carozzoni

--
    05 May 2014 05:27 PM

I've only run Stock/Street, but my reading of the rules seems to state you don't have to jump all the way up to Street Modified, but instead can jump only to Street Prepared.  I don't know what a "Stage One" clutch is, but Street Prepared Section 15.10 states:

O. Any metal clutch assembly, metal flywheel, or metal torque converter that uses the standard attachment to the crankshaft may be used. Non-metallic friction surfaces (e.g., clutch disks) are permitted.  Dowel pins may be added. Any hydraulic clutch line may be used.  Replacement or substitution of the clutch slave cylinder is permitted.

Its_Masters

--
    05 May 2014 08:33 PM

Stage one is basically a heavier duty and more durable OEM clutch that is more heat resistant and what not.  That's why I was kinda shocked to see that it took  me out of H Stock and put me in Street Prepared or Street Modified.

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 May 2014 10:26 PM
    Nick, for regional events I doubt anyone will care about your clutch.  It would become an issue at Tours, Nats, etc. with contingency on the line.  If no one has pointed you towards the SCCA Solo Rule book, let me be the first.  It's worth a few minutes to read it.
    OZMDD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 May 2014 12:50 PM
    Agree that for local events you should not worry about the clutch so long as you disclose it to your fellow HS competitors. Thea reasoning behind the rule is that a stronger clutch does give a slight advantage, especially in higher-power cars. Just because you didn't exploit the full potential of the modification doesn't mean that someone else won't. The purpose behind the rules is to keep a level playing field. There are plenty of cars out there that would gain significant time with a stronger clutch.

Chalk this up as an autox learning experience and ask your local club to let you keep running in Stock/Street with the blessing of your competitors. If your car suddenly become dominant, you might move up to ST*. You can ask to drive a similar car without the clutch mod to see how much of the advantage is you and how much is the clutch.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner