You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
conevadr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 May 2014 10:54 PM

I took a look at PAX results for the five Tour events so far this year.  I counted the number of times that each category landed in the top 25. 

S = 8

SR = 18

ST = 21

SP = 34

SM = 23

P = 13

M = 8

George M

AceInHole
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 May 2014 11:53 PM
Wouldn't those numbers be skewed by how populated each category is? You'd also have potential concentrations of talent in certain classes/ categories, though I'm not sure how you'd depict that. Perhaps number of National trophies/ championships per category....
conevadr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 May 2014 08:07 AM

I actually enjoy looking at how the realities of our world show up in the numbers.  But I'm not a statistician, and know enough that there are too many variables for a quick look at some of the numbers to allow for drawing any valid conclusions.  I'll leave that to the experts like RR and the rest.  But yes, certainly the number of participants in a category is one of the variables that could influence how many land in the top 25.

With that said, while I truly appreciate the hard work that RR puts into PAX, I am already on record as questioning the accuracy related to the street category.  This has all been discussed already.  Even so, I do hope that the eventual adjustment to what I believe is a conservative skew will come sooner rather than later.

George M 

jeffh
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 May 2014 09:39 AM
Posted By marka on 06 May 2014 08:43 PM

Howdy,

Posted By Jeff Hurst on 06 May 2014 12:07 PM

How many others are questioning the index? I know Rick didn't sign up for it but match tours are using it to determine an overall winner. DAX seemed to be headed in the right direction of having something which was manageable throughout the year. 

3% for STX is a pretty big margin to make up as 3.75 seconds just wasn't out there. As close to the difference of switching to R-Comps.

Match tours are not using the PAX index to determine an overall champion.  Match tours now use the index only to determine the top 8 from each heat that advance to the shootout.  Once there, they run on their class winners dial in, similar to ProSolo.

Its also not accidental that heats have classes in them that "go well together" index-wise.

Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it isn't just straight PAX indexing either.

Mark

(and I'm not meaning to detract from your point here... My CS RX-8 apparently would only speed up less than half a second on a 60 second course if I prepped it for STX.  That seems pretty unlikely to me.  That's assuming, of course, that you think an RX-8 is a competitive car in CS.  I'm very happy to be in a position this year where I don't care if the PAX (or DAX) index is "accurate").

They run on dial-ins which is great. The not so great part is if you break out, you still move on. 

And great driving the past 2 weekends. It was awesome watching you slide the RX-8 around for you last run in NJ.

jwbrockman

--
07 May 2014 11:20 AM
Posted By conevadr on 06 May 2014 10:54 PM

I took a look at PAX results for the five Tour events so far this year.  I counted the number of times that each category landed in the top 25. 

S = 8

SR = 18

ST = 21

SP = 34

SM = 23

P = 13

M = 8

George M

I don't have the data in front of me to run this myself, and don't take this as complaining about someone else's efforts, but a more useful calculation would be the percentage of vehicles entered in each category to place in the top quarter (or half, or top 10%, a ratio rather than a fixed number) at each event. This would more clearly show how the categories are being represented by PAX. 

OZMDD
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 May 2014 12:22 PM
Ultimately, the only perfect solution is to avoid using an index for competition and only run cars from the same class on raw time. Since the SCCA seems to be moving away from that "pure" approach and implementing indexes to diversify competition/events, the pax/dax argument will probably linger forever, like so many other controversial topics on these forums.

I think you have a choice to participate or not, and build/buy to succeed within the current ruleset. If "index" is the name of the game, learn how to play it. That's my plan.
marka
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 May 2014 01:48 PM

Howdy,

Posted By Jeff Hurst on 07 May 2014 09:39 AM
And great driving the past 2 weekends. It was awesome watching you slide the RX-8 around for you last run in NJ.

Thanks!

You're not doing too badly yourself against some stiff competition.  :-)

Mark

conevadr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 May 2014 12:47 PM

I took another pass at this.  This time I captured all of the 2014 Tour data from 

http://home.comcast.net/~paxrtp/rtp2014.html  into a spreadsheet.

I matched all of the class data with the appropriate category (S/SR/ST/SP/SM/P/M), except for dropping CAM, FSAE and Jkarts.  In total they only had 25 entries and none were in the top 50 on pax.  Ladies classes are included in whatever category was appropriate.  KM was included in M (Mod).  And I assumed that the rest of the data was correct.  Later on I noticed that there were around 50 entries at the bottom of the Dixie report all at position 225 with no time.  I left these in rather than going back and re-calculating everything.  Since they were at the bottom, they would have had the same impact across the board.  Here's what I found...

1102 total entries counted

#competitors  Category  %of total competitors  #intop25pax-#intop50pax  %intop25pax-%intop50pax

83 M  (7.5%)   8-13   9.6%-15.7%

105 P (9.5%)   13-25  12.4%-23.8%

267 S (24.2%)   8-23  3.0%-8.6%   
(six of 8 in top25 were at Texas)   

111 SM (10.1%)   23-34  20.7%-30.6%

135  SP (12.2%)   34-53  25.2%-39.3%

71  SR  (6.4%)   18-32  25.4%-45.1%

While not a separate category I also calculated SR for all except those in SSR.  This was a very small amount which indicates that most non-SS stock category drivers have gone elsewhere, probably to Street.
16 SR - SSR  (1.5%)   1-4  6.2%-25.0%

330 ST (29.9%)    21-
69  6.4%-20.9%

As I mentioned before, I realize the limited statistic usefulness of such a small sample.  Therefore, I hesitate to draw any real conclusions.  I assume that RR and others will be doing a much better job of this going forward.  Also, my agenda as a mostly locally focused Street category competitor in an indexed PRO class is to help push for an adjustment to be made to the Street category paxes sooner rather than later.  All of the Street category pax stuff has already been discussed, so no need to rehash.  But with a few 2014 events behind us, I thought it was interesting to share how things are shaking out.  Specifically that the numbers/percentages of Street category competitors reaching the top 25/50 is much lower than the other categories.  There could be many reasons for this, only one of which is that the pax values are in need of some adjustment. 

George M

rtp.rick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
11 Jun 2014 07:39 PM
Mr. Nebulizer, I have placed new PDFs above.

H's & KI's,
Rick Ruth
Forcednduckshn

--
11 Aug 2014 01:58 PM
Posted By Jeff Hurst on 06 May 2014 08:09 PM
Posted By ST///M on 06 May 2014 07:09 PM
I'm newer at this, and maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I think the early responses were based on the quote "SM really upped it's game". The reality is there was a reason for that and it had nothing to do with the structure of the class or preparation of the cars in it compared with a week, month, or year earlier. You put alien national champions in decent cars and this happens. It's impossible to appease everyone, I would hope the fastest and slowest drivers in every class are thrown out to determine PAX, as is the case in any true statistical analysis. Not sure that happens here or not? Again, just assuming. I think the National PAX is decent (likewise, I think the Pro Solo index could use a little help) and I appreciate someone going through the effort. Personally, I like faster street legal cars on good tires, it really can be done rather affordably. Much better at being told I'm a slower driver by someone with a 6-8 second slower raw time and a calculator than I am at, well, being 6-8 seconds slower. Just personal preference, what truly matters is what happens in class.

It disappoints me to see people write it off as "alien" drivers when it's not close to the case. Any of the drivers in the car would have finished top in PAX using the current SM index. It's just one glaring example of the inaccuracy of using this index.

Match Tour Rules - Rule #7

People spend a lot of money to compete at national events, My thoughts of being a good data point to build off of might of been far fetched. At a match tour being 3%, even 2% off the pace is not close to being competitive for the day 2 shootout. 

Index and bump classes are run at Pro's as well. The Pro Solo format uses an index much different from Match tours. A difference of 2.1% when comparing the 2 classes discussed (unless that was changed from the rule book)

Just going through some threads here and wanted to echo what Jeff says.   Although it does have some effect, course designs don't alter PAX results that much when comparing SP/SM cars to ST cars.  The ST paxes are disproportionately "hard" (i.e. they are off by many seconds compared to the top SP and SM cars) for many of the sites that we run on.  I was setting top/near top PAX in my BS car at many events last year and now have fallen off consistently between 2 to 4 seconds slower on PAX results this year compared to other drivers that stayed in the same car now that I am running STR. The idea that anyone thinks it is just "alien drivers" is why PAX is viewed with such disdain by classes with poor PAX indexes. I won my class, the biggest class in NJ, by 3 seconds, over some multitime national champions but finished something like 4 seconds off the pace on index.  If you put me or Jeff Hurst in that SM 240SX on that day you would quickly see our PAX times jump up 3-4 seconds, and recognize how much of a joke it is to use PAX as a means to isolate driver from car.  I challenge anyone who thinks otherwise to arrange for either of us to get in these cars and prove it with data.

Thanks,

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner