PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 24 Jul 2017 04:00 PM by  charles33579
Open aluminum trailer. Featherlite vs Aluma vs ATC (or any others)
 30 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
F125AXer
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
21 Jan 2017 10:29 AM
DRASTIC measure, deleting posts like that. Did you also BAN the poster?

@lowside 67: Why do you use the word SPAM here? A single post about a specialty trailer maker once every 6 months or so does not qualify in my mind.
Some of us may have liked looking at the photos of higher end trailers, if for no other reason than knowing what can be built.

Considering the dearth of activity on this forum for the last several years, an occasional post of any sort should not raise such ire.

@Dave Schotz, a single complaint from a "basic member" can get such unilateral action? Wow.
Dave Schotz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
21 Jan 2017 11:42 AM
Posted By F125AXer on 21 Jan 2017 10:29 AM

@lowside 67: Why do you use the word SPAM here? A single post about a specialty trailer maker once every 6 months or so does not qualify in my mind.
Some of us may have liked looking at the photos of higher end trailers, if for no other reason than knowing what can be built.

Considering the dearth of activity on this forum for the last several years, an occasional post of any sort should not raise such ire.

@Dave Schotz, a single complaint from a "basic member" can get such unilateral action? Wow.

No, I just cleaned up the posts, and limited the 15 in  a row that were all advertisements.  

Best Regards,
Dave

RBH

--
21 Jan 2017 01:16 PM
@Dave Schotz & @lowside67 I have remove the few that was left.
F125AXer
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
21 Jan 2017 04:27 PM
Posted By Dave Schotz on 21 Jan 2017 11:42 AM
Posted By F125AXer on 21 Jan 2017 10:29 AM

No, I just cleaned up the posts, and limited the 15 in  a row that were all advertisements.  

Best Regards,
Dave

Yea, well...

Pardon my dissenting opinion, but the trailers/towing sections have and will always be one with peaks and valleys in activity.  I viewed the presence of the apparently unseemly (as viewed by someone other than myself) posts as effectively keeping the pilot light on for the subject.

Of concern to me is that one complaint, with the misuse of the term "spam" was enough to trigger a unilateral trash-binning of one person's submissions.  Those, BTW, included great photos, showing some features in trailers that I had not seen before.  I don't know of anyone who would really classify perhaps half a dozen relevant posts over nearly 3 years on a single topic as spam.

Reality is, that for this Forum, I am one of those people who comes to view some topics that I am subscribed to.  Those connections have likely occurred because I have commented at one time or another under the subject heading.  So what I conclude now is that instead of being pulled here a couple of times a year to view photos of trailers, there will likely be a cessation of automatically generated contacts on the subject.

I much preferred the very occasional linked notifications of postings to none at all, which will likely be the result.  The latter is apparently what one forum member is after.

Xau

--
09 Feb 2017 09:17 AM
Back on Topic

I'm considering getting a trailer, my real question is. does the weight of the trailer save enough money over time. to offset the higher cost. numbers:
open car steel trailer @ 2373 lbs costs $4200
open car aluminum trailer @1460lbs costs $7300
would you save enough money in fuel over say 10 years.
to justify the extra expense?
friends tell me not to spend more on the aluminum, but i want a broader opinion. Thanks
lowside67
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
09 Feb 2017 10:44 AM
I am not sure why you feel the need to so personally attack me or my "member status".  I have no "agenda" but I disagree that it is valuable to the forum to simply have a new post every time his company has a new product.  You can very easily keep a bookmark for their website if you feel it is such valuable information to you personally.  More importantly, this site has paying advertisers - if we allow people to spam or advertise for free, then why would anybody ever pay for advertising?  If people stop paying, the whole site ceases to exist.  It's simple in my eyes.  http://www.sccaforums.com/advertising
lowside67
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
09 Feb 2017 10:46 AM
Posted By Xau on 09 Feb 2017 09:17 AM
Back on Topic

I'm considering getting a trailer, my real question is. does the weight of the trailer save enough money over time. to offset the higher cost. numbers:
friends tell me not to spend more on the aluminum, but i want a broader opinion. Thanks
The fuel cost associated with the weight is likely less than you think.  They have about the same aero drag and that's much more relevant to fuel consumption.  However, you will also have a much higher resale at the end of the 10 year time period so your out of pocket cost is likely lower.  However, I expect you can buy a steel trailer for a lot less than $4,200...

F125AXer
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Feb 2017 09:59 PM
Posted By Xau on 09 Feb 2017 09:17 AM
Back on Topic

What do you intend to tow it with?  While that extra half ton *might*not have much of an effect on your fuel economy, the strain on your tow rig might be a consideration.  Hauling around an extra 1000 pounds may cause issues with bearings, gears, engine and transmission temperatures, etc., plus hill climbing might get challenging.  Just something to consider.  Having towed both, I'll opt for aluminum from here on out.

Xau

--
13 Feb 2017 07:13 AM
Right now the tow rig is a Nissan Xterra, the Car being towed would be a 89 Civic.
F125AXer
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
13 Feb 2017 12:49 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...or_towing/

From what I have read, the X-Terra is rated at 5000 pounds towing capacity. Depending on the generation of your Civic, it alone will be 40 to 50% of that. Add in the normally carried tools,spares, and autocross or racing equipment, and the weight of the trailer becomes critical.
How hard are you willing to work that 4.0 litre V6, and the rest of the drivetrain? If the plan is for only local use, and the topography is relatively flat, a steel trailer would probably be ok. But if you desire to tow interstate, perhaps through mountain areas, then keeping the total weight as low as possible should be the goal.
charles33579

--
24 Jul 2017 04:00 PM
Posted By Xau on 13 Feb 2017 07:13 AM
Right now the tow rig is a Nissan Xterra, the Car being towed would be a 89 Civic.

I've been towing my ~2,400lb 240sx for a few years on a 17.5 1,600lb trailer and it's close to the max I would recommend. A weight distribution hitch with sway control is a must as the Xterra has a really short wheelbase and any sway from a trailer that is longer than your truck will get sketchy real quick.

In flat Florida I've never had an issue with power and average a tick over 14mpg @ 65mph.  Truck has plenty of power to pull this load at 65mph in 5th gear with converter locked up.

Overall if you don't have a choice in tow rigs, buy yourself an equalizer WDH hitch and pick up a tongue weight scale to make sure you have the rig balanced well. If you have a choice, buy a full size SUV/truck.

This all assumes you are talking about a 05+ Xterra on the most recent platform with the 4.0 Liter, the previous gen has no business towing a car unless it's around the block.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button Race-Technology
Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner