SMF - spirit of the class
 9 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
autocrossaddict

--
16 May 2014 12:03 PM

I know I will take a beating for this... but are 1980s Hondas with mid-2000 motor swaps still "in the spirit of the class" for SMF? There are many 'good' FWD platforms out there that have been competitive in other classes over the years, but it seems nobody is willing to push into SMF with SRT-4s, Speed 3s, Minis, etc as an 1800lbs Hondas (yeah, yeah you ballast up to 2000 now...) with a K-swap is just damn near impossible to match.  

At the local level there appears to be much more diversity, but at the national level...Homogeneous Hondas rule.

Looking at SMF related posts here, there are people thinking about non-honda SMF builds. 

What if you could only swap motors +/- one generation? Or +/- 5 years?   

Just thinking out loud...

kjchristopher

--
    16 May 2014 12:55 PM
    Posted By autocrossaddict on 16 May 2014 12:03 PM

but are 1980s Hondas with mid-2000 motor swaps still "in the spirit of the class" for SMF? 

Absolutely.

85rx-7gsl-se
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 May 2014 01:10 PM
    SM* is pretty much near open class for street legal vehicles. Look at some of the stuff in SSM like 20B 3-rotor FDs.
    autocrossaddict

--
    16 May 2014 01:21 PM
    I guess the fact that no other FWD car (maybe the Golf?) has a 30 year model line to pick from seems like an exception that is dictating the rule.

On paper it sounds like SMF should be the play ground for the 'recent' crop of turbo and v6 FWD cars, not the same 10 Hondas.

autocrossaddict

--
    16 May 2014 01:24 PM
    Posted By 85rx-7gsl-se on 16 May 2014 01:10 PM
    SM* is pretty much near open class for street legal vehicles. Look at some of the stuff in SSM like 20B 3-rotor FDs.

That does make me look at SM* in a bit different light. Closer to XP than to SP.

AceInHole
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 May 2014 01:45 PM
    I think a certain someone should bring his SM Neon ACR out... Just because there are a lot of Civics doesn't mean that's the only option.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 May 2014 03:23 PM
    Honda swaps were one of the early "target cars" for SM. When the RWD & AWD cars in the class outgrew them performance-wise, SMF was conceived. They're not unbeatable in SMF, but they are far and away the easiest way to competitiveness in the class.
    SteveEkstrand
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 May 2014 08:17 PM
    Done right, a civic is probably faster with a 100lbs of ballast in the right spot(s).
    Not A Honda Racing

--
    01 Sep 2014 01:25 PM
    I agree on the up hill battle against the Civic empire. But I am running a 06 GTI in SMF and doing pretty decent the last two seasons being under tired, under powered, and over weight. Wish I was in lincoln right now... but a broken truck stopped that form happening

I would love to see some other cars come out and play. Someone go wild on a ST or MS3 or any of the modern hot hatches and the like.
    soslow93

--
    16 Sep 2014 08:35 AM

It takes a big budget to develop a car to the rules of the class... And speed3 parts are not cheap nor are they abundantly available like the older platforms currently at the top of the order in smf.

I'm not sure my plans for 400hp and 315's  will be enough... oh and the driver mod always needs improvement.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner