2015 VW GTI potential
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jrowney

--
20 May 2014 03:40 AM
    I am considering buying the new 2015 GTI for a combo daily driver and stock autox car. Had a lot of success road racing and autocrossing the originals many years ago (had both an 83 and 86).  Any opinions on whether it will remain in GS?  Or maybe will they put the base in GS, and the performance pack with LSD in DS?  My biggest worry is the skid control system. The 2015 lets you turn off the traction control, but keeps some type of electronic skid control in place, although they do have a "race" mode....will that ruin the fun?  Anyone autocrossing a Mk6 have an opinion? Anybody drive one yet?   Thoughts?  Thanks.
    CSP21
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 May 2014 11:44 AM
    It likely won't get classed until after Nationals due to close proximity of time. It's a tough car to class as a couple of us on the SAC are watching it closely and are aware of the issues/benefits you mention. I don't think we'd split the PP vs non-PP MK7 GTIs though.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 May 2014 11:53 AM
    I've done a couple events in my daily driver Mk6 '12 GTI and I am pretty impressed with it. I did one event fully stock and it stunk. But after putting some good tires and a rear swaybar, the car is much better. It's still on the numb side (well, coming from an e46 M3 at least) and in my case the DSG forcing shifts at redline is irritating, but it is very capable and easy to drive well. I have no experience in FWD, but have been doing as well (top 10% PAX local) in this car as I have in my M3 with 7 years experience. It makes a great daily driver too. Fun and nimble with practical space and good economy (~30mpg). A friend of mine complained a lot about his Mk6 GTI needing a true LSD despreately. That has not been my experience. It just goes where I want it to go with little trouble. I don't notice fighting with traction at all, but obviously an LSD would be a benefit and all things even (weight?) the Mk7 should be a better car unless I am missing something, but I'd think not hugely better.
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 May 2014 04:58 PM
    based on where the focus st is, unless it's getting moved, i can't imagine the GTI would go somewhere other than GS - or maybe even HS? focus st seems to be doing quite well in GS regionally
    conevadr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 May 2014 07:43 PM

I was considering replacing my daily driver hatchback with the MK7 GTI, but decided not to wait and went with the Fiesta ST instead.  My bet is that it goes to DS with the other hot hatches with LSDs.  Not a huge pax difference between GS/DS so won't really matter for most competitors.

George M

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner