New Guy Introduction
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
icantdrive55

--
20 May 2014 02:43 PM

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few newb questions.  Been into cars a long time, and not really sure how it happened since my Dad was someone who looked upon the automobile as merely a mode of transportation and if it didn't do the expected--like start when he turned the key--he had no clue what to do.  Somehow survived the era of the 60s when men were idiots behind the wheel and cars were ill-handling death traps with 400 HP motors driven by skinny bias-ply nylon tires.  But I digress….

Long story short, I bought my first performance car last year--'13 GS Vette--and would like to learn how to drive it competently.  Yeah, yeah.  I know REAL drivers look at the Vette as an over-powered, under-suspended old man's car, but it's what I bought.  It's a convertible and I have no plans of putting a cage in it, so track days are out.  That pretty much leaves Solo events, which are probably as close as I need to get to learning how to push the car at 6- to 7/10ths of what it's capable of.  so, questions:

I haven't joined SCCA yet, but would like to show up for tonight's meeting, get to meet some folks, and ask stupid questions.  May I?  Show up, that is….the stupid questions are gonna happen anyway.

Are Snell motorcycle helmets approved/appropriate for Solo events?

Are any vehicle mods required for participating in a Solo event as a novice?

Bottom line, I have no illusion of becoming the next SCCA champ, but would like to learn more about how to drive my car well.  Lemeno.

Thanks--Bill

FinnStig

--
    20 May 2014 04:34 PM
    Bill,

Welcome! Come on out to the meeting tonight at the Mill Race Banquet Center off Sharon Rd, it starts around 7. We're are friendly crowd and can answer almost all questions you have! There will be food and drinks and a cash bar.

I'll go over helmet and vehicle requirements with you there.

Cheers,

Chase
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 May 2014 04:59 PM

welcome!

lycanthrope

--
    20 May 2014 08:28 PM
    welcome. if you still have questions after the meeting tonight feel free to ask, I'm sure someone has the answers.
    a67ssrs

--
    20 May 2014 09:26 PM
    Welcome! I think it's worth mentioning that most REAL drivers don't think of Corvettes as you described. After all, it's been kicking butt on racetracks since before the 911 was thought of.
    TheRickster

--
    21 May 2014 12:18 AM
    Posted By a67ssrs on 20 May 2014 09:26 PM
    Welcome! I think it's worth mentioning that most REAL drivers don't think of Corvettes as you described. After all, it's been kicking butt on racetracks since before the 911 was thought of.

I normally don't fact check... but the Corvette came out in 1953 and the Beetle came out in 1938.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner