G-LOC Brakes
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 29 Jul 2014 10:46 AM by  TOOMCHPWR
4th gen WS6/SS F-body in FS - will street tires make it more competitive than in years past?
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
2MCHPWR

--
28 May 2014 09:02 AM

hi - looking into getting a stock one to relive my past I haven't AX'ed in years but looking to start again so please forgive some of these questions.

17x9's - is 295 a good size for AX?

I know the shelby's and mustangs have been pretty dominant in years past. But with the switch from R compounds, will the lighter f-bodies have a better chance?

Would a roll up window, hardtop Fbody with 1LE suspension (from the factory so legal stiffer springs than normal fbody, stiffer bushings but also a stiffer rear bar which I think people a decade ago said was too stiff to put power down aggressively) be able to hold its own? regionally? nationally?

What would some settings be on koni double adjustables for the first time out with 1LE springs/sways?

With the stiffer springs, does it pay to get the 35mm strano front bar? or keep the stock 32mm front bar and swap out the rear to a smaller bar (is that legal? I think so but not sure).

Thanks so much!

twistedwankel

--
    28 May 2014 11:20 AM
    I think you should pick Sam Strano's brain directly on the setup and competitiveness for your camaro.

I've noticed the fastest cars in FStreet so far locally this year are the BMW M3's.
    tom.capelo@humanoid.net

--
    29 May 2014 03:43 AM

+1 for talking to Sam Strano (plus buy parts from him -- it's a little bit more money but totally worth it for his expertise).

The Strano front bar and Konis Sam recommends were a huge improvement on my 4th gen Camaro. The front tire shoulders quit wearing and I was able to drop the front tire pressure by about 10 psi. On race tires and at a grippy venue I could actually corner hard enough to bottom the car out before -- no problem now with the Sam bar and Konis.

FWIW I used to place pretty well in FS locally, but I have been pounded by the Mustangs lately. I think I have fallen behind mostly due to less acceleration -- I'm down as much as 145 hp to a Mustang now (plus it doesn't help my car has 240k miles on it and is down on power from before).

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 May 2014 12:36 AM
    I currently own and have autocrossed a 4th gen Camaro (Z28) and I currently have a 2012 Mustang GT. 4th gen f-bodies will not be nationally competitive against the 5.0. In ESP they can definitely win, though.
    SIMMONS-RACING
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Jun 2014 09:07 PM
    Posted By BigEnos on 31 May 2014 12:36 AM

I currently own and have autocrossed a 4th gen Camaro (Z28) and I currently have a 2012 Mustang GT. 4th gen f-bodies will not be nationally competitive against the 5.0. In ESP they can definitely win, though.

Good to hear since I just bought a 2014 GT .

Simmons

2MCHPWR

--
    07 Jun 2014 08:59 AM
    Posted By Tom Capelo on 29 May 2014 03:43 AM

+1 for talking to Sam Strano (plus buy parts from him -- it's a little bit more money but totally worth it for his expertise).

The Strano front bar and Konis Sam recommends were a huge improvement on my 4th gen Camaro. The front tire shoulders quit wearing and I was able to drop the front tire pressure by about 10 psi. On race tires and at a grippy venue I could actually corner hard enough to bottom the car out before -- no problem now with the Sam bar and Konis.

FWIW I used to place pretty well in FS locally, but I have been pounded by the Mustangs lately. I think I have fallen behind mostly due to less acceleration -- I'm down as much as 145 hp to a Mustang now (plus it doesn't help my car has 240k miles on it and is down on power from before).

What is the most negative camber you were able to get?

As for getting pounded lately, was that on the street tires or last years R's?

I still feel like giving it a shot with a 4th gen 1LE optioned car (roll up windows, LS1) locally (no travelling for me). So i'm gonna be looking for some 18x9's with the stock 50mm offset. Thinking of TWS Interlagos (lighter weight than their Nurburgring wheels).
    Tire choices are looking like:

Hankook RS-3 - 285/35/18  (guys use 275 on 8.5 wheel). 285/35 = 25.9" tall, $256 each
    Dunlop Direzza ZII - 285/30/18 - out of production? $306 24.8" (shorter than stock height, improved acceleration but lower top speed in 2nd, from 75 to 72?)
    BFG g-Force Rival - 275/35/18 = 25.6" tall, $279 each

I'm reading that the Dunlops and Rivals like cooler operating temperatures while the Hankooks need heat to work well (hankooks better with a co-driver?).

Then the only other part I'd think about getting is the strano 36mm hollow front bar (thinking the front stiff koni DA might work OK with the stock 32mm 1LE bar but not sure).

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Jun 2014 11:33 AM

Dunlop ZII production has stopped because they're bringing out the ZII* star spec this fall. Tirerack has a pretty good inventory they said they expect to last until the ZII* arrives, so don't let that scare you off if you decide to go in that direction. ZII doesn't fall off a cliff during track sessions or anything like that, but the peak grip comes warm, not hot, and you'd likely have a tough time keeping them cool enough with codrivers; I spray mine liberally with icewater after every run to get them back to 90-100F to start the next run.  They're great for daily driving down to freezing, and even a little below, though.

The new compound RS-3 that just came out the last few months appear to need less heat to work than the original RS-3 compound. They have a softer sidewall than the ZII or Rival if that matters to you.

The runoffs between ZII and Rival often went different directions depending on driver, and a lot of this is climate dependent and up to you and your preferred driving style.  You'd likely run a different tire in Massachusetts than Florida.

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Jun 2014 05:24 PM
    Definitely the Strano front bar. Car needs a lot of roll stiffness up front to maintain the meager camber you can get stock. Hankooks have worked well for me so far.

Oh, and Simmons, we both know that car will be sold by the next time I see you =P
    TOOMCHPWR

--
    29 Jul 2014 10:46 AM
    First event coming up on Aug 2.
    I got some 18x9 TSW wheels and Hankook RS-3 275's.
    Also bought the 35mm front bar from Strano.
    Was only able to get -.5 camber.
    Using koni double adjustables and 1LE springs (complete 1LE car).
    There is a 2014 1LE in the class that has been racing and doing well all season and I haven't AX'ed in years
    Should be fun time though.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner