Author Messages
trippinbillies40

--
30 May 2014 12:08 PM
    Sold out in 4 minutes. Congrats!
    lightisfast

--
    30 May 2014 02:42 PM
    Yeah thats a bit ridiculous and a little unfair to anyone who has to work a job where they can't be near a computer. I managed to remember it was coming and registered from my phone while in a meeting

Really crazy how popular the Pro solos are. Perhaps they should just make more of them.

They thing I disliked the most with the only one I did in Toledo was the short boring course that you did over and over again. I am thinking that the short aspect will be rectified in Wilmington.
    F125AXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 May 2014 03:31 PM

"a little unfair"...  

Yep. And I am surprised that the SCCA has not yet found a way to handle the gold rush which seems to happen @ DC, Toledo, and now Wilmington. 

IMO, what is needed is a Tiered entry date/time, as is used for the Finale. I really believe that since each event is a part of a series, preferential entry capability should be given to those who are competing for series points. Then, entry should be open to those who are "One-eventers".

I was giving a seminar to High School Seniors this morning, so my son signed in and went through the registration, doing mine first, as the account holder. IF he would have just entered me, I would be in. But the option to "Enter another driver" was the button he hit (and the one I would have clicked too, of course) so that he would be registered as well, added a couple of minutes to the process.

As a result, @ 9:06, we were both put on the wait list.  

Big Bummer. We both went to DC and ran there. We are both registered for Toledo.  Depending on his school situation, one or both of us would be headed for the Finale.

We were planning on running both the Pro and the Tour @ Wilmington, but if we don't make the Pro, will probably skip the Tour as well.

Sometimes success sucks. The SCCA needs to get a handle on it somehow.....

Alan Sheidler
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 May 2014 08:13 PM

Wait listed folks: If it helps, I registered for the full DC Pro 10 days before the event and, of course, got put on the wait list as 9th in a list of 9. Many other previously wait listed folks had already gotten in by then. I got in on the Tuesday before the event and I think there were more cancellations after I got in.

So, cross your fingers and be sure to keep checking the entry list and your dashboard for a message to approve the credit card charge if you do get in. 

Dick

FS/SR 50

CM/R1 85 (semi-retired)

F125AXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 May 2014 11:31 PM

OK Dick, fingers are crossed!   We should be low on the list..... Wilmington is about a 5 hour drive for us, and with other planning, the longer the lead time, the better.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :-)

Alan
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 May 2014 06:58 AM
    Posted By F125AXer on 30 May 2014 03:31 PM

"a little unfair"...  

Yep. And I am surprised that the SCCA has not yet found a way to handle the gold rush which seems to happen @ DC, Toledo, and now Wilmington. 

IMO, what is needed is a Tiered entry date/time, as is used for the Finale. I really believe that since each event is a part of a series, preferential entry capability should be given to those who are competing for series points. Then, entry should be open to those who are "One-eventers".

I was giving a seminar to High School Seniors this morning, so my son signed in and went through the registration, doing mine first, as the account holder. IF he would have just entered me, I would be in. But the option to "Enter another driver" was the button he hit (and the one I would have clicked too, of course) so that he would be registered as well, added a couple of minutes to the process.

As a result, @ 9:06, we were both put on the wait list.  

Big Bummer. We both went to DC and ran there. We are both registered for Toledo.  Depending on his school situation, one or both of us would be headed for the Finale.

We were planning on running both the Pro and the Tour @ Wilmington, but if we don't make the Pro, will probably skip the Tour as well.

Alan Sheidler

I think your proposed process is missing the boat -- many of the people rushing to register are trying to get their three events minimum done.  I am sitting around 45 on the wait list for Toledo after signing up 30 minutes after open and am in Wilmington.  I was hoping these two would be part of the three that gets me to the Finale.  Your tiered process would exclude folks like me who intend to go to the Finale.

trippinbillies40

--
    31 May 2014 07:46 AM
    Posted By lightisfast on 30 May 2014 02:42 PM
    They thing I disliked the most with the only one I did in Toledo was the short boring course that you did over and over again. I am thinking that the short aspect will be rectified in Wilmington.

Pro Solo courses are supposed to be 35-40 seconds in length (because you do have to know two of them). So doubtful you'll see anything much longer than what you saw in Toledo. 
    F125AXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 May 2014 02:26 PM
    Posted By Z3papa on 31 May 2014 06:58 AM
    Posted By F125AXer on 30 May 2014 03:31 PM

"a little unfair"...  

Alan Sheidler

I think your proposed process is missing the boat -- many of the people rushing to register are trying to get their three events minimum done.  I am sitting around 45 on the wait list for Toledo after signing up 30 minutes after open and am in Wilmington.  I was hoping these two would be part of the three that gets me to the Finale.  Your tiered process would exclude folks like me who intend to go to the Finale.

Eh, I think you have misread my suggestion.  It is exactly competitors like you who should be allowed to register first.  Certainly the the rush is fostered by those who want to get three in, and run the Finale.  But really, in this part of the country, that is not 300 people! 

The over-subscription, which means wait-listing many, is due to "new", or "local" drivers who want to give Pro a shot.  They fill the openings before the computers of series regulars can get their registration completed.

The SCCA is promoting giving Pro a try, and local region members who have done many Pro Solo events tell all of their friends how great it is.  New drivers entering means that the program is very attractive/successful.  But at the same time, that success creates a problem which needs to be addressed: How to keep the local "one eventer" entrants from filling the slots needed by series competitors.

BTW, which is your third Pro?  You mention Toledo, and Wilmington.  Unless you already went to DC, or Blytheville, or the Spring Nats @ Lincoln, it means you went to Texas, or El Toro, or are planning on SF or Packwood.  There are no other options.  For me, it was DC, Toledo, Wilmington.  And the fans rushing the opening in the fence at all three have not all been series regulars.  Some of those have been trampled when security unlatches the gate.

85rx-7gsl-se
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 May 2014 03:17 PM
    Are all the folks cancelling at the last minute being required to pay for the event at a time of registrering and subsequently forfeiting their entry fees when they cancel?  If not, that may be the issue lol
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 May 2014 09:39 PM
    F125AXer -- my third is Blytheville AR at the beginning of the year. Folks on the Northeast and coast have it good int there there is three events relatively close, but bad in that there is clearly they are fighting with a large population of autocrossers to get their entries.
    mlane350z
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Jun 2014 07:58 AM
    Posted By Z3papa on 31 May 2014 09:39 PM
    F125AXer -- my third is Blytheville AR at the beginning of the year. Folks on the Northeast and coast have it good int there there is three events relatively close, but bad in that there is clearly they are fighting with a large population of autocrossers to get their entries.

Unless you can't attend one of the three and you are on the East Coast.  I had to be out of town for the DC Pro, which meant the next closest Pro was Blytheville, which is ~17 hours away.  If you want to kill off the 5 min rush and keep the 3 event min for the finale (first batch registration), the SCCA really needs to add at least two more East Coast Pro's.
    lightisfast

--
    06 Jun 2014 03:04 PM

The tour is filling fast too.  Not sure what the limit is, but better get registered for that as well.  I already lost my number .  Now I'm going to have to make some additional numbers.

Catch-22

--
    13 Jun 2014 08:29 AM
    The Tour is full. Capped at 350.
    SCCA has done Tours with over 400 entries before, but I think 350 is pressing our luck in terms of getting done and getting the fence down on Sunday.

^Might^ make a great argument for the airport relaxing the fence rule. Less time setting up and taking down fence = More entrants coming to town.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner