STL with AWD?
 1 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
autodoctor911@gmail.com

--
12 Jun 2014 11:34 PM

I have been reading through the rules with the intention of building or buying a SCCA STL or STU car. GCR  states(9.3.5) that all wheel drive is prohibited except for Touring, Improved Touring and Super Touring, and as far as I have been able to find, STL has no specific rule against it, so it must be legal right?  Or did I just read right over it and miss it somewhere?

I see no weight penalties for awd in STL though.  Is this because it is not really an advantage at the low power levels and relatively good grip, and the balance of a RWD car is faster, compared to awd and fwd cars which are nose heavy.

Also, are engine swaps between models on a pre-approved only status for stU and stL?  can a model of car that was only available with engines over 3.2L be run in STU or over 2.0 for STL with an engine from the same manufacturer that is the appropriate size?  For example, could you run a Porsche Carrera with a Boxster engine in STU? or a Corvette with a V6?

Similarly, can a turbo car be stripped of it's turbo and compression ratio raised (within the 11:1) limit to run in STL?

Will the subaru FA20 engine be allowed the stock compression ratio in STL like it gets in STU?

If you haven't figured out by now, I was thinking about taking a 1.8 or 2.5 RS Impreza AWD and running it in STL, possibly with an original sohc 1.8 motor that came in them up to 96.  Most of the ones I've seen available in some form of race prep are powered by an EJ25, or some kind of turbo engine.  I was thinking I could use one of the newer NA JDM 2L engines that are available for very cheap in a Impreza 2.5 RS, and keep the 2.5L for later use in STU if I choose to upgrade and go for the extra chassis allowances at the same time.

dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    21 Jun 2014 08:55 AM
    AWD is legal. You would need to run with the RWD weight added. You can use any chassis with any engine that fits the STL rules.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner