Turfway Courses
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
eaf363

--
15 Jun 2014 04:08 PM

I've begun work on the course for the 29th at Turfway, and as always I'm met with the choice between a simple, short course that may be a bit boring versus trying to cram 10 pounds of stuff into 5 pound bucket.  I wanted to get everyone's opinion on which way to go with it.  I have options that some might call "confusing" (crossovers and potentially using one section of the course twice). So, do we take the ultra safe route and make something simple that the novices can easily see, or do we go more complex and force people to use their brains a little bit? I tend to lean toward the second option and I've seen plenty of videos from other clubs that seem to effectively use crossovers to make fun courses in cramped lots (I think I'm thinking of CKR here).

Also, I'm in need of 2-3 helpers for setup at that event.  If you're willing to get to the site around 6:30 AM and want to learn a little bit (and I stress the "little bit") about course design let me know.

Catch-22

--
    16 Jun 2014 07:54 AM
    Don't let Evan fool you with the "learn a little bit" thing. He's good at this.
    But we do need to add another person or two to our course design and setup team (we lost Tom to club racing this year), so if you are interested this is a great place to start. You have to help set a few up to learn things about safety, flow and visuals. Then we'll let you try one.

I won't be there, but my $.02 on design at that lot is to keep it pretty simple to see and read. I think there is too much opportunity for things to go very wrong if someone gets lost at speed on that site. Besides, 7 runs on a fast 30 second course is more fun than 5 runs on a tedious 45 second course. Right?

eaf363

--
    18 Jun 2014 12:46 AM
    Well don't everyone volunteer at once! I appreciate your input Scott; I'll shoot for something in the middle/simpler side.
    obielando

--
    18 Jun 2014 08:13 AM
    As a novice, and this being my first event, I'll take more runs with short, simple and boring.
    bruceleejkd

--
    19 Jun 2014 08:14 PM
    Short and simple gets my vote.

eaf363

--
    22 Jun 2014 08:25 PM
    The people have spoken! Anyone who complains about the course being too short gets pistol whipped.
    FinnStig

--
    22 Jun 2014 10:03 PM
    eaf363

--
    23 Jun 2014 11:17 PM
    Shenanigans!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner