New Hankook RS-3 in 195/50-15 in STC/STS
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
brentglad

--
16 Jun 2014 12:23 AM

I'm curious if anyone has done any testing of the new Hankook compared to the R1R in the new 195/50??  I ran the 225 a couple years ago on 8's when I ran the Civic in STX and wasnt too keen on them as I was a single driver and it was impossible to get heat in them, but with the new "softer" compound, and smaller size I think they may be a viable replacement for next year with the 200TW coming if Toyo doesnt re class the R1R.  Thoughts??

brentglad

--
    17 Jun 2014 04:37 PM
    Really? No one has been thinking about next season?
    SpeedingBolt

--
    18 Jun 2014 02:13 PM
    I drove an ES NB miata on 15x6 wheels with the RS-3 and couldn't really find anything that I could complain about and they seemed to grip pretty well and would assume that like the 225 they will do even better when they get stretched more.  I haven't driven on them in cooler temps but as expected they managed the heat from two drivers on an 80 degree day well but the owner did spray them for are last two or three runs out of 6 total.  I felt that they were much better than the 205 rivals that i had on 6ULs for my STS NA miata.  other than that I haven't had any other experiences with the other 195/50/15 tires but did notice the RE-11A is 2lbs heavier but they have more tread depth when I was looking at them on tirerack.
    bstock05

--
    10 Jul 2014 04:26 AM
    I’m not sure why everyone wants to compare it to the R1R, unless it gets a new 200tw rating then it is irrelevant. The bigger question should be what legal tire or size is better. It may be a good data point to compare it to the R1R. There’s no reason to worry about the R1R because no one can use it and we are on the same playing field with whatever tire is allowed.
    gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jul 2014 08:44 AM
    [EDIT] Never Mind [/EDIT]
    SpeedingBolt

--
    10 Jul 2014 11:34 AM
    As far as size goes I'm gonna try and follow the trend of the R1R and have agreed to buy the 195/50/15's from a friend, since they have a slightly smaller diameter and weight 2lbs a tire less that the 225/50/15 which has been shown to work best on a 9in wide wheel.  Not to mention they are the cheapest tire at 99$ a tire new and Hankook pays contingency, not that I'll ever win anything but if I do adding money to my tire budget would be a big bonus.  Now I just wish i could of bought the ones that were posted but they sold in less than a couple of hours.
    Andres3165
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Jul 2014 02:01 PM
    Gave them a chance at Lincoln and Toledo, not better than Toyo's at least for my 2100 lbs. car

Andres
    SpeedingBolt

--
    17 Jul 2014 05:05 PM
    Have you tried any other tires other than the R1R that you thought were better than the RS3 because the R1R is illegal for the ST classes next season?
    Andres3165
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Jul 2014 10:15 PM
    Posted By SpeedingBolt on 17 Jul 2014 05:05 PM
    Have you tried any other tires other than the R1R that you thought were better than the RS3 because the R1R is illegal for the ST classes next season?

Tried almost all of them from previous RS3's to the new ones. While driving in the heat of Ft Myers The old RS3 's were awesome on 225, did not like the ZII , Rivals were great at the beginning too but can over heat, they are more sticky when they are newer. their performance decreases and peels off. New Rs3's are not good cold so your first run is not going to be very fast, but once they warm up the work really good, they overheat and cool down quicker than the previous generation. I would like to try the Bridgestone RE11-A.

Andres

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Jul 2014 12:31 PM
    RE-11 is supposedly better than the RE-11A. I know a very competitive STF car on RE-11's, but other than that nothing, so maybe it's a tire best suited to light cars. The RE-11A apparently feels mushy and doesn't handle abuse well.
    btwyx

--
    30 Jul 2014 02:13 PM

My experience is with front wheel drive, so I don't know how relevant it is. I started on RE-11, which is what I used for track days. I tried Rivals and they were faster, the test was a bit skewed in that the Rivals were run in near freezing temperatures, the RE-11 were still slower despite being 20°F warmer.

I like the ZII, I think they were slightly faster than the Rivals, though it was slightly damp when tested, so its difficult to be certain.

I've never done a head to head comparison with RE-11A, we mainly used them for track days and I hated them. They grained so badly that the rubber was falling off in long strips after we'd finished. I tried them for one autocross, in a different car than normal. Despite have twice the horse power, the car on RE-11A didn't run as fast as our other car could on Rivals/ZII.

I've never tried RS-3, my competitors have made good use of them, particularly in hot temperatures like the Crow's Landing tour.

Phillip S. Osborne
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Aug 2014 04:40 PM
    I tested a set at Mineral Wells, but they weren't mine so I was relatively easy on them. I only ran them for a few laps around David W's test course. I found them to be impressive compared to my worn R 1 Rs...At this point, those are the tires I will try next season.

That said, I just ordered a set of RIRs shaved for my STC Civic, and will most likely use them up before the SCCA season begins next year. But here in TX region I think the STS folk wouldn't mind if people showed up with nearly worn out RIRs from the previous season...at least for the first event or two...
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner