Tires for STX class (NEWBIE HERE)
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
alexvilla

--
14 Jul 2014 01:35 PM

Hello guys I am new here, my first year running on SCCA events and first time at Auto Cross events as well.

I have a question I am looking for a new set of tires for my auto crossing events.

I currently have the nitto's nt05 which are ok but the temperature rating on those is from 160F to 220F for optimum performance, and at the events the tires barely get to that temperature on the last run, even when we have a 100F weather here

Now I drive an 08 VW R32 (STX) I have a points lead of 80 point for the Rookie championship so I am looking more into next year’s options, I know next year the tread-wear is 200 for ST classes. I’ve hear about the toyo proxes the hankook rs-3 the Direzza ZII, but I want to hear from people that actually have used this tires for what I want them… so any help will be greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance

btwyx

--
    15 Jul 2014 03:23 PM
    The usual suspects are the Dunlop ZII, BFG Rival and the Hankook RS-3 (one of its 200TW incarnations). The Toyo R1R is 140 so not an option. I've tried the ZII and Rival (on our HS MINI, so fwd with less power), they both worked pretty well and there was not a lot between them. I went with the ZII because three was a better size available.

The RS-3 version 2 seems pretty good, but I've not tried it. I got beaten at the Crows tour by a guy who switched from ZII to RS-3 (but that may be more because I drove crappily), the RS-3 seemed to like the heat there. The guy who won GS (in a Focus ST) is keeping his RS-3 V1's.

You probably can't go wrong with any of those, I'm sticking to ZIIs.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Jul 2014 05:09 PM

Also note that the current generation Dunlop ZII is out of production and the next generation ZII  - the ZII Star Spec isn't quite available yet, so it may be hard to get ZII's for your car right now or in the near future.

Nathan Atkins

--
    30 Oct 2014 01:37 AM

I've used all four of these brands

If you're running on asphalt mostly then use Rivals or R e11A's since you don't have to pay any attention to what side you're putting them on. Ha kooks seem to work best on concrete, dunlops are competent all rounders. (Too bad toyos are out they were awesome)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner