Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 25 Jul 2014 10:05 AM by  CadVetteStang
Is there a place for build threads? Is this the best forum for that?
 22 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
CadVetteStang

--
24 Jul 2014 11:29 PM
Okay, thanks guys. I will study the rules for both classes as well as STX as another friend suggested.
Also, I ran across a forum entry where a guy said he was autocrossing a 275/40 on an 8.5" wide wheel. I would not have considered this due to rim width recommendations. Assuming the answer is "no" then if I was to choose between a 275/40 on a 9 or a 255/45 on a 8.5" wide wheel, what would be best considering the weight and lateral force of the front? I know I would do 275s if I can get some 9.5" wheels, but I don't know if that is "in the cards" for next spring when I plan to return to racing.

And (off subject for the SP forum) but I have to plan way ahead. My engine is fine right now and the car only has 86,000 miles on it, but it is a Northstar. I have to consider the cost of future replacement of the engine with a swap or a bullet proof rebuild. I was disappointed to find out that an LS7 is not a possibility with the transverse automatic setup due to the Y block. I am now thinking along the lines of the 100 pound lighter and stronger 4.9 but with the addition of the Eaton supercharger found on the GXP cars. It is a cheap mod and I could get back most, if not all of the 75 horsepower I would loose.... The other option is to turbo the northstar (only after a rebuild with head studs of course) or to find something else in the 450 lb Northstar and LS engine weight category.
If I am not mistaken, any of those mods would have me in SMF anyway..... 275 horsepower and 0-60 in 6.8 is not slow, but for that engine weight, I need more.... I initially was looking for the 4.9 powered Eldorado that has a 8.5 second 0-60 thinking that the weight savings up front was worth the power loss..... I just don't know now....
BTW ; I do plan to relocate the battery and maybe washer fluid tank to under the trunk floor. That will help some.
hklvette
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
25 Jul 2014 09:03 AM
On tires: Some tires work okay when squeezed onto a rim, and others don't. Hoosier A6s can be really squeezed and still work. Street tires, not so much.

Any engine swap you do (except for another N*) will likely require a transmission swap. The 4T80 was only used with the N*, and has a different bellhousing pattern than any other GM FWD application. It may be possible to modify the BH since the small metric pattern is very similar, but you'd still have to deal with mating the torque converter to the new engine.

Keep the coolant in the engine clean and silicate-free and you should be okay in the longevity department. Next, the only LS that will fit in a GM FWD is the LS4 from the Grand Prix GXP, and only with its matching 4T65eHD. I don't know where such a swap would put you, and wouldn't gain much over what you have now. Another option is the 3.8SC which has decent aftermarket support, but would also require a transmission swap. All of these swaps would require a significant amount of electrical work to make them play nice with the rest of the ESC's electronics.

Don't bother with the 4.9 unless you want to do it "just because". The Fiero guys have been trying to squeeze more power out of that motor for a long time, and there still isn't much to be had even with forced induction. The biggest problem with the 4.1/5/9 is the cylinder head since it flows poorly and no aftermarket solutions are or will be available.
CadVetteStang

--
25 Jul 2014 10:05 AM
Thank you for the info. I had wanted one of these cars since they first came out. Before I knew about the block problem causing the head bolts to pull loose, I followed what the sand rail crowd was doing with them and was very happy about the possibility of a 1,000 HP motor. Then I turned away from them until the redesign of 2000. Still failures happened and I was skeptical until I read about another upgrade in 2002. That's why I got this car and I drove it care free until I researched the 2002 upgrade again and found nothing about it.... I know that thousands of these cars go in excess of 250,000 miles with no major mechanical issues and that the failure rate is low..... But still... I just can't make myself forget about it. I know that after a rebuild with head studs, they are good to go... But it is the cost of rebuilding that got me thinking about a swap as an option.... I have a friend of a friend who can do just about anything to a GM engine that can be done, so that seemed to open possibilities... I will table the engine ideas for a while and look again at what can be done to the N* to get it into the LS7/LS9 power range.

I know that the aftermarket does not support the 4.9 and that is too bad. I still want a 4.9 Fiero, lol
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner