2015 WRX...results to date???
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RustoWRX

--
05 Aug 2014 07:19 PM

Has anyone been running one of the new WRX's?  I'm curious to hear how the revised model is doing; in particular, the gearing of the new 6 speed.

Thanks!

RustoWRX

--
    11 Aug 2014 08:39 PM
    Well...I guess that does answer my question!
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Aug 2014 01:28 PM
    It normally takes a year or so for people to get a handle on a new model. Might want to ask on NABISCO how the early adopters have faired.
    gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    13 Aug 2014 05:59 PM
    I have one, have only autocrossed it once so far in completely stock condition (other than alignment) on stock tires. I previously had a 2006 DS/RTA WRX and had the opportunity last year to drive, at one event, the 2013 WRX that finished third at Nationals in RTA.

The gearing of the new car is about spot-on for most local events. It tops out just over 60 in second. It could be a liability at Nationals, however, where the more open courses may require rev-limiter bumps (always a scary thing in a stock-tuned turbo car) or a 2-3-2 shift every once in a while. My old WRX would do ~67 in third, as would the 20011-2014s. The flip-side is better power delivery than any previous stock WRX. Between the twin-scroll turbo and the shorter second gear, the car has much less lag out of slow corners.

I tried the car with and without torque vectoring (i.e. brake-based faux-limited-slip for the front axle) but haven't been able to draw any conclusions. I had my fastest scratch time with it off, but I did plow into a cone on the outside on one corner exit. Would I have missed the cone with it on? If so, would it have held me back elsewhere? Need more practice to say for sure.

It feels better in transition than the 2013 I drove thanks to the firmer suspension tuning. Because I haven't driven the new car on the same quality tires as were on the 2013, I can't draw any conclusions on sweeper grip. I will say that I haven't been able to get as much negative camber out at the front of the new car as was possible in the older car. I've only been able to get -1.5, others have been able to get as much as -1.8. The last generation cars seemed capable of as much as -2.5. So while the new car rolls less than the last generation thanks to the firmer springs and stock bars, it may not ultimately have any more front grip.

Compared to my old 2006, it's a massive improvement. Compared to the 2013, I think it's an incremental improvement. Mostly it's more precise. I think the good drivers will figure out how to exploit it's advantages over the last generation in due time. What I don't know is if it's enough better to challenge the Audi TT's.

RustoWRX

--
    14 Aug 2014 09:17 PM
    Thanks Gary! The power delivery of the engine (much better torque curve) certainly looks improved from what I've read. My biggest concern has been with the gearing and camber. I appreciate the insight!
    honda33

--
    15 Aug 2014 01:18 PM
    The gearing has been a pain to get used to coming from a 2012 but the power delivery is much better. I was able to get the same camber on the '15 as I was on the '12 so nothing to worry about there. It does feel less raw and more disconnected than the '12 but that seems to be the way most new cars are going.
    gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Aug 2014 11:51 AM
    Video from an event this past weekend. Finished 8th on PAX out of 44, had a better run that would have been 5th but I grazed a cone on that last slalom. This was on stock tires.

http://youtu.be/E_mdgln0ay4

RustoWRX

--
    18 Aug 2014 07:12 PM
    Thanks Gary. I recognize that course! CCSCC! I ran with y'all once or twice (I was with Chicago at the time).

I see that Wayne is running the 2015 at Nats, so we'll get a good look at the car.

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Aug 2014 08:28 PM
    It pains me to even mention it, but how is the cvt? Could it provide a gearing advantage over the manual in practice?
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Sep 2014 05:18 PM
    guess i prob don't have to mention but... 2nd in DS at nats
    Shalafish

--
    20 Oct 2015 10:47 AM
    I took my '15 to 6 events this year. This year was my introduction to autocross so I do not have prior experience.

I finished 45th in the PAX results for the season. The other '15 WRX finished 37th in the PAX. I think it was his first season autocrossing as well.

The results above are in the St. Louis region. We both ran the cars completely stock on the original tires.
    jkpitkin

--
    20 Apr 2016 12:42 PM
    Last season I was able to take 9th in PAX results for the overall season on the stock tires. The car performs fantastically IMO, and that was my first season ever autocrossing.

This season I'm starting to jump up to better tires and will be doing a few other modifications while staying in DS. One of the most needed modifications (other than tires) will be to max out the front camber - the insides of the tires are hardly being used. Even still, with just changing the tires to the RE-71R, I'm amazed at the difference. I'm placing a lot higher in Pax per event, averaging 4th overall whereas last season I might have been averaging 10th.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner