Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 Aug 2014 08:27 PM

There are criteria in the Solo rules for defining a class that has become too small. Has anybody considered when a class has become too BIG? And, what to do about it?

turbotoddie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Aug 2014 12:12 AM
    Too big, hell! Figure out what is so popular about it and see if it is applicable to other classes/categories! Is it the allowances, variety of allowances, variety of competitive rides?  I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather place 10th amongst 40 or 50 cars vs winning against 8 or 9!
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Aug 2014 10:20 AM
    I wish all the classes were at least 40 drivers. Having competed against 62 and 15 at nationals. I'll always prefer more competition. Now what I DO think would be worthwhile, is a cap on trophies. Say 15. Beyond that is just seems a little ridiculous.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Aug 2014 09:58 PM

Both fair comments. But how big is TOO big? Again, there are definitions of too SMALL !!! Why not the reverse? Just asking. As for limiting how far back to award trophies starts to create a limit to class sizes. 

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Aug 2014 10:00 PM

BTW ... imagine ALL classes north of 40. Good lord. Nats would run for WEEKS.

conevadr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Aug 2014 08:58 AM

I've only been part of a big class once - 36 - my only trip to Nationals in 2012 in RTR.  It was difficult to meet and socialize with the other drivers in a larger class.  Logistically, the person(s) that you are fighting for position with may be gridded relatively far away.  Most of the tours that I've done with 5-10 drivers seemed like a much more friendly atmosphere.  Other than that, being part of the larger class was great.

George M

rejohnson

--
    09 Aug 2014 09:10 PM

Criteria in the rules for a class too small?  Other than needing 3 at Nationals for a champion, I don't know of anything . . . . . . . .what am I missing?

-R

racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Aug 2014 01:52 PM
    Posted By rejohnson on 09 Aug 2014 09:10 PM

Criteria in the rules for a class too small?  Other than needing 3 at Nationals for a champion, I don't know of anything . . . . . . . .what am I missing?

-R

ComBIRDable
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Aug 2014 11:39 AM
    How many cars can you run in one heat on one course? Once you split a class across heats, the weather has a greater chance of affecting things.

Scott
    rejohnson

--
    12 Aug 2014 10:00 AM

4.8 does not refer to anything except how a supplemental class becomes a National class - no criteria here about a 'class too small'.  Again, the only thing in the rules covering that is the minimum class size to award a National championship @ 3.

-R

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 Aug 2014 12:19 PM
    If we had heats of 100 or 200 cars, we would have to approach heats differently; maybe each heat now lasts 4 hours with everyone working half a heat, or even switching out for each run. More than that, and I think we would have to either accept weather as a random factor, or run qualification heats to lead to a final with a reasonable number of people.
    TrqlessWonder

--
    12 Aug 2014 12:23 PM
    Posted By snaponbob on 07 Aug 2014 08:27 PM

There are criteria in the Solo rules for defining a class that has become too small. Has anybody considered when a class has become too BIG? And, what to do about it?

I'd rather actually experience the problem - preferably more than once - before I made any suggestions on how to fix it.  Is there a class that you think is "suffering" that problem right now?  And other than a very long heat (splitting across heats strikes me as foolish), what real problems do we think that presents?

As for too small, I believe that part of the rules were axed a couple of years ago, as it effectively called for killing most of Prepared and Mod.  IIRC, 17 was the nationals attendance hurdle that used to exist.  Could be wrong, though.

racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Aug 2014 01:03 AM
    Posted By rejohnson on 12 Aug 2014 10:00 AM

4.8 does not refer to anything except how a supplemental class becomes a National class - no criteria here about a 'class too small'.  Again, the only thing in the rules covering that is the minimum class size to award a National championship @ 3.

-R

Sorry, I didn't read that right.

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Aug 2014 09:54 PM

Well, if STX is the class "too big"  we are talking about, I noticed they have their own run group at Nationals 

All STX all the time

Mark

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Aug 2014 08:59 AM
    All interesting comments. As for "splitting", I was not referring to the actual HEAT, but the CLASS. Maybe this year may be an anomaly, but I doubt. Things will be interesting in September.
    ComBIRDable
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Aug 2014 11:36 AM

I agree with others here that a big class is a good thing.  If nationwide participation in a particular class is very high, the only downside I can see is trying to fit all competitors into one heat at Nationals.  (Or one heat at local events.)  Honestly, this is the only downside I can see to a large class.  Once a class is larger than one heat's worth of drivers at Nationals, how do we handle that?  Other than that limitation, I say the more the merrier!

You clarified splitting the class instead of the heat.  As an example, are you talking about splitting AS into AS1 and AS2?  That would only work if there was a clear difference in the performance of cars making up the class, where you could easily (ha!) group cars of like performance together.  But really, we should just move the lower performing cars down to BS to fill that class (or move the higher-performing cars up to SS).

What if hundreds of BRZ/FRS drivers show up for STX at Nationals next year?  Then what?

Thanks,

Scott

rodhx

--
    20 Aug 2014 02:41 PM
    Posted By ComBIRDable on 20 Aug 2014 11:36 AM What if hundreds of BRZ/FRS drivers show up for STX at Nationals next year?  Then what?

ummmm...they'd all get beat by an RX-8 or 20 year old BMW??

sorry...couldn't resist

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner