Flipping street tires
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rgosda

--
24 Aug 2014 04:18 PM
    So what are the thoughts out there about flipping  street tires?  What is the balance between wearing outside tread blocks, reducing voids, to worn too much?

Thanks,

Bob G.

ltborg

--
    26 Aug 2014 10:45 AM

I flip mine a bunch to try and keep the wear even.

twistedwankel

--
    26 Aug 2014 11:29 AM

With stock ride height springs and less than -2 degrees camber front and rear on my RX8 and in spec toe in and out I find that I never have to flip the tires on the wheel.  Simply moving the tires front to back after about 6 months keeps them evenly worn.  My latest Rivals don't have a symetrical tread pattern anyhow so they probably wouldn't grip as well if flipped?  I get one season of pretty regular autocross and street driving on a set of 140-200 wear tires here in FL.

By the time I hit the wear bars they are normally heat cycled out and I get a new set of whatever's best/cheapest.

My 86 Mustang is even easier with fixed diff and wheel spin no problem keeping tires nice and even.  Those I can rotate twice if needed per year so no way I'll ever have to flip them on the wheels.

Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Aug 2014 03:04 PM
    On of the worst experiences I ever had was going to a Tour after flipping tires too late. Tires were undriveable.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Aug 2014 10:48 AM
    It is going to depend a lot on which tire you are talking about.
    Rivals work well flipped (at least in the dry).
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Aug 2014 11:27 AM
    You can swap between left/right wheels on directional tires if you're worried about the tread pattern.
    twistedwankel

--
    27 Aug 2014 12:48 PM

My 245mm tires are Rival 3 rib design with narrow inside rib and wider Rivals are 4 rib.  I read somewhere that the Rivals are not suppose to be flipped until worn down to 4/32" or more which is about 1/2 way.  Tread composition?  Don't remember why.  There is a big difference in tread block size inside to outside on the 3 rib design for sure. 

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Aug 2014 01:14 PM
    Posted By twistedwankel on 27 Aug 2014 12:48 PM

My 245mm tires are Rival 3 rib design with narrow inside rib and wider Rivals are 4 rib.  I read somewhere that the Rivals are not suppose to be flipped until worn down to 4/32" or more which is about 1/2 way.  Tread composition?  Don't remember why.  There is a big difference in tread block size inside to outside on the 3 rib design for sure. 

Mine were 0/32 outside, maybe 4/32 middle, maybe 5/32 inside when I flipped them (also 245). They work fine.
    I can't imagine a reason for a 4/32 critical threshold for flipping - aside from the tire then being so poor at voiding water at that point that it no longer makes a difference which side is which.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner