Difficulty mounting tires
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
INTIMAZY

--
13 Apr 2010 10:28 AM

First post on the forums for me. Let me know if there is a better section for this. I have been trying to get two 285/30/18 V710s mounted on 18x9 wheels. I have tried going to a few places and they have not been successful is getting the tire to hold air or set the bead on the rim. I know it's a bit pinched and not optimal by far in terms of wheel width but I am looking for a place that is willing to heat them up and get them on using less conventional methods. I have tried a few places (RT Tuning in PA, Charley's Tire in Staten Island (would not recommend them at all) and Tire Empire also on Staten Island. Does anyone know of anybody that could mount them in the NY/NJ/PA area? I've spoken to a few people that have made a 285/30 fit on a 18x9, just have not been able to find anyone willing to put the effort in.

Thanks for your time!

Boxologist
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Apr 2010 07:48 PM
    Give Al's Hubcaps in Mineola, NY (long island) a call. They've been mounting 225s on 6.5" wheels for the past 2 years for me.
    Matt93SE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Apr 2010 02:39 PM

Just a thought, but have you considered buying a tire that fit better, like a 245/35 ?
    They're designed to fit on an 18x9 and are the same overall diameter. They're also 3lb lighter.

Unless you're putting down some MAJOR power, I can's see the need for that much additional tire.

sometimes I like to listen to the tire companies suggestions...... They have better engineers on staff than I do. :shrug:

dmitrik4
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Apr 2010 06:35 PM

the "correct" tire acording to the tire maker isn't always the fastest setup.

my guy had a lot of trouble getting my 285/30s onto my 18x8 wheels, but it eventually happened.

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Apr 2010 09:08 PM

...another reason to run Hoosiers, Kumhos are a serious pia to mount [:P]

When I used to do 245 V710's on 18X8" rims, the easiest way to get it done was to change tires on a warm day, let the tires sit in the sun for awhile, use lots of soap/lube and sometimes use a ratcheting motorcycle tie down, as well...getting a 285 A6 on the same rim, in comparison, was a total piece of cake. The K sidewall is just a beotch...

spaf

--
    27 Apr 2010 09:21 PM

get the tires on the wheels and where the bead won't set, sit it in-front of a small space heater, heat up that part of the sidewall and the sidewall around it, bounce like crap.... With a little experience this gets a lot easier...to the point where you may not need the heater...

former stock class driver....

dmitrik4
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Apr 2010 05:05 PM
    mwood wrote:

When I used to do 245 V710's on 18X8" rims, the easiest way to get it done was to change tires on a warm day, let the tires sit in the sun for awhile, use lots of soap/lube and sometimes use a ratcheting motorcycle tie down, as well...getting a 285 A6 on the same rim, in comparison, was a total piece of cake. The K sidewall is just a beotch...

wow, i'd hate to see the kumhos...my guy (who preps a lot of autoX cars and road races a GT3 Cup) busted his nose mounting my 285 A6s when the lever bar slipped and smacked him in the face. [:$] he mentioned that they go on 10" wheels a lot easier. i owe him a case of beer.

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Apr 2010 08:31 PM
    dmitrik4 wrote:
    mwood wrote:

wow, i'd hate to see the kumhos...my guy (who preps a lot of autoX cars and road races a GT3 Cup) busted his nose mounting my 285 A6s when the lever bar slipped and smacked him in the face. [:$] he mentioned that they go on 10" wheels a lot easier. i owe him a case of beer.

Ouch!

I flipped all four 295/30-18 A6's on my car's 8.5" rims this weekend in about 40 minutes, max...they were easy enough to start with, but once they've been run on, they're super easy. A couple of friends and me went partners on a Corghi tire machine 3 years ago (bought it pretty cheap from a tire shop going out of business) and the thing is fantastic...having the right tool for the job helps.

But, the Kumhos were just never easy. Carter Thompson has a guy who is so good, he could actually get the 285 V710 on an 8" rim...that's something I would have paid money to see [:D]

Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Apr 2010 11:32 AM
    mwood wrote:
    dmitrik4 wrote:
    mwood wrote:

Ouch!

I flipped all four 295/30-18 A6's on my car's 8.5" rims this weekend in about 40 minutes, max...they were easy enough to start with, but once they've been run on, they're super easy. A couple of friends and me went partners on a Corghi tire machine 3 years ago (bought it pretty cheap from a tire shop going out of business) and the thing is fantastic...having the right tool for the job helps.

But, the Kumhos were just never easy. Carter Thompson has a guy who is so good, he could actually get the 285 V710 on an 8" rim...that's something I would have paid money to see [:D]

I discovered having two tire-bars and two people in-addition to the machine helps a LOT - I just put a set of Hoosier 285/30s on 18x8.5" rims last week.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner