PE 8
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Catch-22

--
22 Sep 2014 11:26 AM

I liked Evan's course a lot.  It was a nice combination of fast offsets, sweepers and tight features that were tricky, which is pretty much what you are going to find with national level event courses.  If there was one downside it was that the course was not particularly novice friendly as we had lots of spins, DNFs and a whooooole lot of cone killing from the less experienced entrants.  I think this was probably a combination of some features that suckered people into overdriving them, some challenging visuals through the wallom, lots of speed, and some of the bumps in tricky places.

Some of these things we can adjust for with course design (challenging visuals for example, which is the hardest thing to learn but it comes with experience), but other things like bumps, offset/slalom speed runs that require quick hands, and sucker features are just part of the game.  Evan is pretty good at throwing some things out there that separate contenders and pretenders, which is how he got the nickname "Dr. Evil." 

Thoughts?

In other news, The Shari McCoy brought the PAIN on a course that was generally described as requiring a lot of balls.  So... Yeah.

obielando

--
    22 Sep 2014 12:04 PM

This was the most challenging course I've driven, of my 5 events.  I think driving line was critical on this course.  It was very fun, but very challenging to us newbies. 

JWhitling

--
    22 Sep 2014 12:37 PM
    Yes, I must say, this is the best SCCA course there in a while. I didn't make best use of it but I loved the way it used the lot. Particularly the back and the run to the finish. The diagonal stretch leading into a sweeper was great fun too.

All the DNFs were a problem though .. just 5 or 10 pointer cones could have fixed most of it. I'm not sure if the course was designed to be deceptive or if it just turned out that way.
    Vr4play

--
    22 Sep 2014 05:03 PM
    I really liked the course once I got it figured out. I have been doing this for almost 20 years and this was the first course where I got totally lost. I may have had something to do with attacking the course too fast on my first run. I got super sideways and after catching the car I was just like where am I? LOL. It was fast and required some balls in spots to be fast and patience in other spots. I enjoyed it all though I was really missing my hoosier's. Good job Evan.
    mdavis

--
    22 Sep 2014 09:48 PM
    Props to Evan on a really really fun course. I only got 1 walk (and only set up part of it, so a lot of it had changed visually since I set it up), but I didn't have any problems getting lost. Seeing the course map ahead of time may have helped with the general idea, but I didn't think it was hard to read, honestly. I tend to struggle with looking far enough ahead, and this course forced that to happen, otherwise it seemed like you would be screwed. Watching my video, I noticed I was looking a lot further ahead than I normally do, especially through the beginning of the course. Maybe that was the secret. Taking a wide entry into the slalom at the end certainly seemed to help as well.

Here was my best run of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZcoTG7Bao
    Catch-22

--
    22 Sep 2014 09:56 PM
    I set up part of it but got no course walks. That forced me to look way ahead on my runs, and I didn't get lost. Actually not walking the course is an old trick for when you think you aren't looking ahead as it makes you do it. <--Not recommended for Novices.

Back when I was instructing for wheel to wheel competition licenses, I'd wait until my students started getting comfortable on day 2 and then I'd go out to a worker station wearing a bright jacket and wave at them throughout an entire session. In the session debrief I'd say "OK, where was I during that session?"
    9 students out of 10 would look at me with a blank stare, and then reset their "OK, I'm not quite there yet" meters.

This stuff isn't easy. Actually its really hard.
    tacti

--
    22 Sep 2014 10:35 PM
    Thanks to Evan for such a fun course, and Matt for co-driving with me.
    Here's my best run from the day and also the side by side of me and Matt.

My best
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNn...7nj9iM_bgX

Side by Side
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsYMQiJWvkk&index=9&list=PL7GBXsbVq35qFJws69sHh2u7nj9iM_bgX
    mdavis

--
    23 Sep 2014 10:03 PM
    After watching the side-by-side video, Tact was killing me up until the final slalom (my guesstimate puts it about 3 car lengths going into the slalom). If somehow we were able to put his best early part of the run with my last part, that run would have been significantly closer to Bryan and Scott. Such is life though, I guess.
    Catch-22

--
    24 Sep 2014 09:52 AM
    One good full run with no cones is, after all, the hard part. And at Nationals you only get 3 shots at it and need to do it again tomorrow.

Autocross is a lot like golf. It looks easy until you do it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner