Genesis Coupe/370z classing and competitiveness
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
coneassasin

--
22 Sep 2014 10:28 PM
    I've been playing around with the idea of buying a 14' gen coupe r spec for Street.

It's pretty obvious that no one has spent any time developing these cars for street classes. I know there is an issue with good aftermarket dampers, but I think I've got that part figured out. My question is this: why is the 370z and Gen coupe not in the same class? 
    The cars are very similar in size, weight, power, the one exception being that the gen coupe has narrower wheels. 

Those differences being said, why would they put the gen coupe in F street, and the 370 in C street? It seems like the gen coupe would fair better against the FR-s, RX-8 dominated C street, and the 370 would fair okay against the ponys in F street better than a gen coupe.

Any thoughts?
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Sep 2014 12:23 AM

The 370Z is 250 lbs lighter, has wider wheels, has a wheelbase 11 inches shorter, and the 350Z and 370Z are proven competitive CS cars.

The Genesis Coupe was introduced as more of a sport/luxury coupe than a sports car and thus placed in FS. The second generation has upped the sportiness a bit, but until it proves that it's an overdog in FS, which it probably will never do, it will remain in FS.

Mark Hirt
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Sep 2014 07:59 AM
    RX-8 dominated C Street.... A 370Z won Nationals
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Sep 2014 10:35 AM
    It's pretty obvious that no one has spent any time developing these cars for street classes

I think Ed Runnion would disagree with you.

DaveW
    Impala SS AutoXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Sep 2014 04:40 PM
    Umm, yeah.

Basically, I won't pretend I had a stellar drive in Lincoln this year but I can confidently say the 2012 V6 R-Spec is outgunned...by a good bit...in FS.

FWIW, here are specs on it :

Race weight (without driver) : 3250
    Wheelbase : 111" (i.e. LONG)
    Width : 74" (i.e. WIDE)
    RWHP (with catback) : 265HP/249TQ
    Wheel widths : 8.0" F, 8.5" R
    Tires used at Nationals : 18x8F with 245/40R18 scuffed-in Hankook RS3v2, 18x8.5R with 265/40R18 scuffed-in Hankook RS3v2
    Front camber (max you can get) : -2.1 (honestly, not bad for street class)
    Suspension : one-off Koni Doubles, Whiteline front bar, lots of tweaking/testing

Basically, it's a decent local car but completely outgunned on a "power" Nationals type course in FS (it was a lot more competitive in the dry when the car was in DStock on A6s). It might keep up (due to weight relative to rest of FS) on a "transition-y" course despite the width. In 2014s Nationals terms, with a STELLAR drive I think it could have been in the mid-high 62 range on West and a mid-high 66 on East. I'll let you compare to the rest of the class to see where that puts it

It is a tough car to drive at 10/10ths. Throttle modulation is key and it is not easy on laying power down out of corners (drive-by-wire that isn't so great on implementation with a very noticable "delay" from when your foot moves to when the engine responds plus rear suspension setup) .

2013+ should be a bit better (40 more HP, 30 more TQ...with no other real substantial changes good or bad), but still pretty convinced it would not be (by any means) the car to have in FS.

Worth noting that compared to the GS car (09-12 2.0T R-Spec), accleration up to 53 MPH or so (top of 2nd in the 09-12 2.0T, V6 goes to 62 in 2nd) is about the same. The GS car is about 100-125 lbs lighter, ALL on the nose, with the same tires/wheels, suspension, etc. And you get to run against GS . Quite honestly as an autocross car I'm not convinced mine is much faster than the GS car.

In other words, a car that is just "a little worse" (not TONS worse, but a little) in pretty much every metric except front camber compared to that E46 M3.

I'm figuring out 2015 plans now. It'll either involve selling the Genesis and trying something else, OR running the Genesis locally only and do a fly-n-drive for Lincoln. It IS a fun street car, but then there are plenty of fun street cars that aren't competitively classed
    coneassasin

--
    23 Sep 2014 05:58 PM

Thanks Ed, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I actually met you at the El Toro Pro, I had the black camaro on street tires that was running with the ESP guys.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner