Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
OZMDD
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Sep 2014 03:35 PM

Does anyone have any info or thoughts on the fate of the current batch of soon-to-be-illegal street tires? I love my Yokohama AD08R's, and I know the XS, R1R and others will soon be banned from ST and Street (please change it back to Stock!). Any word on if some/all of these will get the RS3 re-rating treatment?

gary p
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Sep 2014 05:18 PM
    XS replacement has already been announced (V720).  Since Kumho is quoted as saying they are targeting SCCA Solo Racers, they're no doubt acutely aware of the need to have a 200+ TW rating.  The R1R is being supposedly being "revamped" into a 200 TW tire. Yokohama apparently has no plans to change the AD08R to meet the new requirement or offer a compliant, competitive alternative.

Bridgestone is apparently readying a more competitive offering, too.
    davebs14
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Oct 2014 11:37 AM
    Well...in this one test on a BRZ on a track back to back the new RS3 was a second faster than the new Kumho V720 tire.

So looks like Kumho still has work to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n6ayvlzsJA

I am also eagerly awaiting the new compound on the Rival. Supposed to be better at Lincoln which should be better everywhere

Alan Dahl
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Oct 2014 04:46 PM
    Has anyone tested the RS3 vs the new Direzza ZII Star Spec yet?
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Oct 2014 12:06 AM

Alan .. in what class? A friend (runs STU) did back to back tests (at Lincoln the day before the Tour). RS3, Z2s, and Rivals. RS3s were faster despite not adjustinng the shocks or pressures on the Kooks. Backed it up during the tour (Rivals day 1 and RS3s day 2). Well .... he ran the Kooks at Nats. 

Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Oct 2014 08:25 AM
    Posted By snaponbob on 15 Oct 2014 12:06 AM

Alan .. in what class? A friend (runs STU) did back to back tests (at Lincoln the day before the Tour). RS3, Z2s, and Rivals. RS3s were faster despite not adjustinng the shocks or pressures on the Kooks. Backed it up during the tour (Rivals day 1 and RS3s day 2). Well .... he ran the Kooks at Nats. 

He's asking compared to ZII Starspecs, not ZII's unless you are telling us he got a set of early release before Nat's.

gareno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Oct 2014 09:51 PM

I have tried the Kumho XS and Dunlop Z2 (old version)and BFG Rivals back to back on several occasions, on different surfaces...all on my HS Mini Cooper.

I have had my share of mixed results. But here are my results...in no particular order.

The Rivals are capable of turning times equivalent to or at least comparable to the other two, but feel like crap doing it. All crispness of a Mini Cooper turns very numb. Turn-in on Slaloms are very slow and mushy.

Z2's heat up very quickly. Good for cold temperature days. But with two drivers or even one driver on a hot day...get way too hot on a Mini Cooper. These become a one or two run tire. Each run after that get slower and slower. Again...they are capable of turning very fast runs...at least once before getting too hot. Ultimately the faster of the 3, but they have a hard time duplicating it back to back due to overheating. Definately not a Prosolo Tire.

Kumho XS, was ultimately the tire I chose to run, because they could take the heat that a Mini Cooper dished out. They could do that consistantly, and during back to back testing, even if a touch slower. They were ultimately fastest on second run(once they had a bit of heat) but could back it up on subsiquent runs. They handle two drivers just fine with light watering. They handle hot days just fine with light watering. They feel great and inspire confidence. They are crisp, turn in is great, and sustained grip is good in sweepers. The downside is that they are fastest after shaving to 5/32"(extra expense) and they seem to have a base rubber that isn't as fast. So times start to go away around the 2/32" mark. This makes them good for about 25-50 runs. Not much different than I got from Hoosiers. But the good news, is that their contingency program is awesome, and after my first set last year...they provided me with my next 10 sets for free(other than the shaving expense). Plus I still have 12 more tires that I earned at Nationals, that I can't run next year. 

Oddly, I ended last year with 19 Hoosiers that I couldn't run this year...I hope these rules stop changing soon.

gareno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Oct 2014 09:03 AM
    I did talk to the Kumho guys at Nationals, they did say that they were on schedule for a spring release of the V720. They couldn't tell me what was changing on the tire. I asked if it was just a tread design/compound change, or if it was an all new carcuss. Not sure if they couldn't...or wouldn't tell me.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner