Hankook R-S3 V2 in cold weather?
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
VRUM VR6

--
03 Oct 2014 08:02 PM
    I have an autocross in 50° +/- 5° this weekend... wondering if my R-S3s would work or be a waste.
    Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Oct 2014 10:52 AM
    Well, V2's are designed to work better in more moderate weather conditions better than V1's for example, but there are several other factors besides just ambient temp that are going to dictate how well your tires are going to work for you this weekend.

Some of these factors are other weather factors such as wind and and sunny vs overcast conditions. Light wind with sunny conditions make a HUGE difference over sustained heavy winds and overcast conditions. I don't think I need to tell you which one is preferred when the thermometer reads 50 F.

Another factor that heavily influences how your tires will perform in colder conditions is how often your car will be on course. If the heat sizes are small, and things are running smoothly, and you're getting the car back on course every 10 minutes or so, then you might be just fine as a single driver, especially if you use tire blankets to help retain heat in the tire. If you are in a large heat with a lot of drivers however, and single drivers are waiting 20+ minutes to get their cars back on course then that might be a problem. This is why you'll see so many more co-driven cars when the mercury begins to drop.

So as you can see the answer to your question is more complicated than a simple yes or no. A lot of it really depends on how well prepared you are going into the event and what you are willing to do (ie: invest in tire blankets, arrange co-drive ect ect).

rosejm
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Oct 2014 06:38 PM
    It's concrete. There was far more grip today even on Hoosiers than I would have thought.
    It'll still be squirrely the first run or two, but that just helps rotation and you'll adjust pretty quickly.
    twistedwankel

--
    04 Oct 2014 07:39 PM
    Dude.
    That is not cold weather. 40F is cold weather.
    Read your tire label. 32F = 0C. You never lived in NE OH or Canada.

When cones are so hard they break your plastic car parts when you hit them it is cold - not before. That even happens in FL sometimes. Stay home if you don't have good insurance.

Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Oct 2014 08:04 PM
    Posted By rosejm on 04 Oct 2014 06:38 PM
    It's concrete. There was far more grip today even on Hoosiers than I would have thought.
    It'll still be squirrely the first run or two, but that just helps rotation and you'll adjust pretty quickly.

Apparently somebody else from the same event had something slightly different to say below lol. I'm pretty sure he's on RS3 V2's, uh oh lol. Anyway, I'll be out there tomorrow, not going to let a little chill in the air scare me off  

"Grip? We had none. Like, zero. Nada. Zilch. Still fun."

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner