Question for guys with tire trailer
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Replayman

--
14 Oct 2014 10:58 AM
    Hey guys, got a question. Just picked up a tire trailer, the small 4x6 kind. You guys register it right? How difficult and expensive is it?
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Oct 2014 12:55 PM
    New York State requires that all trailers be registered and inspected regardless of weight. Per this web page, the fee should be under $15.00/year (plus whatever hidden surcharges DMV wants to tack on):

http://dmv.ny.gov/node/1967

If you bought the Harbor Freight kit or a small landscaping trailer at a big-box store, make sure that you get the MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, aka: title) and a receipt for the purchase price that shows whether or not sales tax was paid. If the tax wasn't collected, you will need the original receipt at DMV to pay it there.

You may also need an official scale receipt to document the completed weight if it is not on the MCO. Per NYS law (that a lot of people and cops do not know), you can tow an *empty* trailer to/from a scale without a license plate for the sole purpose of having it weighed prior to registration.

There are also instructions on the web page above if you want to register a home-made trailer. Save *every* receipt for parts, as they will ask for them at registration time.....
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Oct 2014 04:56 PM
    Two other things that I forgot to mention.

1) You do not need insurance for a trailer. It is covered for liability by the tow vehicle's insurance.

2) You must have the trailer inspected annually at any state inspection station. Because the rocket scientists in Albany do not print inspection stickers that can be applied to a trailer (unless something has changed recently), the inspection station will hand you a windshield sticker (without the adhesive cover removed and with a few extra holes punched) that you must carry with your registration card. I don't know how the downstate inspection stations deal with these stickers, since AFAIK they all are required to give out printed emissions stickers and don't have the old windshield stickers with holes punched in them like we do upstate.....
    Boxologist
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Oct 2014 05:24 PM
    $39.50/year for my 40x48" Hammer Freight chinese jobby. No insurance necesary til gross weight tops 1000lbs. From Harbor Freight the 40x72" trailer w/ the 12" wheels had a 1090ish lb capacity, the 10" wheels topped out at 970lbs. Knowing that before buying one of their trailers would save a surprise.

My trailer gets the plate once, and snail mail/email renewel will get the annual sticker for the plate.
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Oct 2014 07:31 PM
    There's no insurance requirement for non-commercial trailers. The BatCave is titled for 9,990 pounds, and even the bank didn't require insurance when financing it. It is covered by my homeowner's insurance in the driveway, and for liability under my car insurance on the road.

Anyone looking at the HF kit is strongly encouraged to get the upgraded model with the 12" wheels. The 8" wheels spin way too fast for long highway drives, whereas the 12" wheels on my old tire trailer did over 20K miles behind the Submarine without any wear or bearing issues. One run was over a hundred miles in an hour across Alligator Alley in south Florida, which bent the license plate vertical from the wind force but didn't even make the bearings warm.....
    Replayman

--
    16 Oct 2014 03:05 PM
    Thanks. Awesome info. I bought a used South Sport tire trailer up in CT. So no MCO. I guess I have to get it weighed. Where do you go for that?
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Oct 2014 06:46 PM
    If the CT title has the weight, you are good to go with that number.....
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner