Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
edfishjr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 Jan 2015 10:38 PM

Posted By Homer23 on 05 Jan 2015 02:16 PM
From what I'm reading, it's technically only legal to use a 4 pt harness in Street Class, but it's not that big a deal for people to use 5 or 6 pt harnesses.

where do you get that idea?
edfishjr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
06 Jan 2015 11:26 PM
Random musings:

in 1.3.2B we have
"Competitors are required to wear seat belts…"

in 3.3.1 we have
"Seat lap belts are required in all cars…
and
"the use of shoulder belts or harnesses is strongly recommended…"

Then in 4.3.2 we have
"Driver restraints complying with Section 3.3.1 shall be worn while on
course."

and in 13.2.H (specific to Street class) we have
"Driver restraints as outlined in Section 3.3.1 are allowed.

A few things jump out at me:
1. Not only are harnesses allowed, they are strongly recommended even in Street. (I started out using the CGLock and later a 5-pt harness, which I had to give up because of the pressure it put on the Corvette seat-backs when cinched up tight enough to be useful. Corvette seat-backs which pop free are a safety hazard that should be outlawed, both by the SCCA for racing and NHTSA for street use.)
2. While competitors and drivers are required to wear seat belts, nothing here (or elsewhere that I can find) requires passengers to wear them. (Under certain circumstances passengers are allowed even on National competition runs and they specifically cannot be competitors. The difference between competitors and passengers is quite clear.) Also, this leaves the Regions (which tend to allow passengers) to have to create a special rule to require passengers to wear seat belts. They can't just point to the National rule-set.) Over and over again the rules are formulated with respect to drivers instead of occupants and occasionally making reference to passengers as special cases. Just enough to make it clear that drivers are different from passengers.
3. There is nothing here that would allow a shoulder harness that didn't include a lap belt to be worn without simultaneous use of the seat lap belt. I'm thinking I've seen such things, but maybe I just imagined them. (Restraint systems I call harnesses, 4-pt or more, employ the equivalent of a seat lap belt in the design.)

Homer23

--
10 Jan 2015 04:15 PM
The rules say that you can use a harness bar, and no more than 2 attachments to the chassis. A 5 or 6 pt harness would need 3 or 4, but like others have said, it's allowed.
edfishjr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
11 Jan 2015 06:46 PM

Posted By <a href='http://www.sccaforums.com/user-profile/userid/48177' class='af-profile-link'>Homer23</a> on 10 Jan 2015 04:15 PM
The rules say that you can use a harness bar, and no more than 2 attachments to the chassis. A 5 or 6 pt harness would need 3 or 4, but like others have said, it's allowed.

I think you May be confusing structural attach points for the harness bar, which are restricted to limit chassis stiffening, with attach points for the harness. Not the same thing at all.
Conekilla

--
28 Apr 2015 03:42 AM
ok so I'm bumping this up bc I am thinking about installing this harness. Nothing crazy .. just tired of CGLOCK and wanna try something new to keep me in place. I'm not a PRO driver or anything.

Harness I'm using: http://www.sabelt.com/en/racing/Pro...4005N.aspx (see pic attachments)

Eyelock plates: http://www.sabelt.com/en/racing/Pro...-vite.aspx (see pic attachments)

I'm using two eyelock backplates on floor (both sides of the seat at bottom) and one behind the seat (not below seat but straight back on to rear hatch metal) WELDED points to attach the eyebolts . I'm using the eyelock back plates which is FIA approved and made by Sabelt.

I guess my two big questions are,

1. DOES scca allow harness installation with points welded on chassis to accommodate that harness in street class? I don't see why not as it's part of safety. I just don't want to have it installed and then not able to run my car at a nat event bc I have welded eyelock plates.

2. I do have to make a small 3"x3" slit into my hatch plastic to accommodate the harness (as street rules do not allow plastic piece removal) to go to the welded metal chassis. Is this cutting in plastic piece allowed?

thanks

Attachments
AStockVette
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 May 2015 02:55 PM
I can't speak to all regions or national events, but can state that this harness if properly installed would pass tech inspection for the National Championship event. "Proper installation" is defined by the instructions that come with the harness; I'd suggest keeping those in the glove box of the car in case there are any questions.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Sunoco 88x31 Button
SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner