Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kyoo
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Nov 2014 04:37 PM
    Any thoughts on whether this car will be DS or GS? Looks like the Mk6 was only a bit slower than the FoSTs, and this car will have more power & much more torque, along with bigger brakes and a mechanical LSD. Will also be lighter. I think it was mentioned that they wouldn't split model packages (PP vs. non-PP), just curious.
    DeltaV

--
    24 Dec 2014 09:41 AM
    Currently classed in GS. I myself may have jumped the gun and bought a non PP GTI in August, I'll be building it for GS anyway. Maybe I can retrofit the PP? Who knows. The FoST is quick in GS with an open diff so I'm not too worried.

Where I am worried, however, is the wheel width restriction. the GTI comes with a 7.5in wheel. It's been a while since I've been in the autocross game so I'm not sure what the hot tire is these days, but I can't imagine stuffing anything larger than a 235 or 245 on a 7.5in wheel, and that's not a lot of tire. I know the championship winning FoST was on 255s with a 17x8 wheel.

So will the GTI be out tire'd? I've driven both cars (stock) and to me the GTI just feels better-more stable and planted, better steering feel. It feels lighter and more responsive. But who knows with these tires.
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Dec 2014 10:31 AM
    you can get a 245 on there no problem. you can't retrofit PP - or you can try, and it'd be very expensive... bigger brakes, mechanical LSD? the FoST has a very competent eLSD system, I don't see too many doing one tire fires - gtis on the other hand, i see doing all the time. the only thing the gti has over the FoST is the option for a mechancial LSD. the car will be slightly out-tired, but the difference is marginal. forget the FoST, the non-pp gti can't compete against PP gtis
    DeltaV

--
    24 Dec 2014 11:15 AM
    The non-PP GTI has the same type of e-diff system as the FoST.

How can you say non-PP GTIs can't compete against PP GTIs when the PP hasn't even shipped yet, much less seen an autocross course?
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Dec 2014 11:33 AM
    Posted By DeltaV on 24 Dec 2014 11:15 AM
    The non-PP GTI has the same type of e-diff system as the FoST.

How can you say non-PP GTIs can't compete against PP GTIs when the PP hasn't even shipped yet, much less seen an autocross course?

we may be talking about "different" things - i'm talking about nationally competitive, #1 car to have. regionally/locally, anything can beat anything. if we're talking about max prep, non-PP gtis cannot compete against PP gtis. 

DeltaV

--
    24 Dec 2014 11:43 AM
    Ok, I see what you're saying.

Honestly if you look at the numbers it looks like the GTI is set up to take the class at a national level, if not this year then soon. Curb weight on a 2 door manual GTI S package is listed at 2972. Supposedly the PP adds about 70 lbs, so you're at a a hair over 3000lb with an LSD, before lighter exhaust and wheel/tire package. Even with more power and more tire, I'm not sure the FoST can compete at a similar prep level.

Should be very interesting come September.
    GTIspirit

--
    26 Jan 2015 11:45 AM

Posted By kyoo on 04 Nov 2014 04:37 PM
    Any thoughts on whether this car will be DS or GS? Looks like the Mk6 was only a bit slower than the FoSTs, and this car will have more power & much more torque, along with bigger brakes and a mechanical LSD. Will also be lighter. I think it was mentioned that they wouldn't split model packages (PP vs. non-PP), just curious.

VWoA hasn't done such a great job advertising the specifics, the details aren't so well known.

GTI MK7 with PP gets 10hp, 10mm bigger brakes, and an electronically controlled limited slip, haldex style. This is in contrast to the base XDS+ which brakes the spinning wheel and supposedly doesn't work as well as the FoST system. There is reportedly no torque increase, the extra 10hp comes at the very top of the rev range.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner