Question for D-Street Mini Owners Regarding Strut Brace
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
danderso

--
08 Nov 2014 09:22 AM

Hello Everyone.  New to the forums here, but a regular Autocross Racer here in Texas Region.  I currently run in D Street, and I have a question about the Mini Cooper S and JCW Strut Brace.  When I bought my car in 2012 this was an option from the order configurator at Mini.  At the time I didn't do it but would like to consider adding it after the fact to help with body roll. 

I understand that if an option was "Port Installed" then that makes it legal, such as the JCW Suspension. 

Was this bar port installed and is anyone running it locally, nationally, etc. without issue from the rule enforcers?

I posted at North American Motoring and someone thought it seemed to be port installed and they run it, but I wanted to ask here as well to be safe to see what others are doing. 

Thanks

Knocker

--
    09 Dec 2014 12:57 PM
    What I call a "strut brace" is a structural component attached to the top of the strut towers and possibly to the front cowl, too. The purpose of this "strut brace" is to increase rigidity at the top of the suspension components. For example, Carroll Shelby discovered significant flex at the top of the 1964 1/2 Mustang front suspension components, so he installed a "strut brace" to the Shelby Mustang GT 350.

That "strut brace" is different than a "anti-sway bar" or "stabilizer shaft". The purpose of a rear stabilizer shaft is to reduce rear body roll, increase oversteer, and decrease understeer. With a front wheel drive vehicle in D Street, you may be interested in replacing the rear stabilizer shaft. After spending money on tires and autocross schools, a rear stabilizer shaft is the next best item for you to spend money on.
    OZMDD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Dec 2014 04:38 PM
    Wow. Least useful answer ever.
    gareno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Dec 2014 10:46 AM

The aluminum JCW front strut tower brace was a port installed item. So therefor it is legal in stock/Street class.  That said...I don't see much need for it, your money can be better spent elsewhere.

danderso

--
    17 Dec 2014 01:00 PM
    Thanks Greg, that's helpful and good to know -- David
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner