Towing with an Acura MDX (2011) looking for feedback
 1 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
danderso

--
19 Nov 2014 09:55 PM
    I have a 2011 Acura MDX. I am thinking of having the OEM tow hitch package added to it so that I can start towing a Mini Cooper (2750 lbs). Looking for any experiences others have with this vehicle in a towing situation. The SUV is rated for 5000 lbs. and if I figure a 1800lb trailer as a rough guesstimate I'll be pushing 4500+ lbs before passengers and anything extra.

Thoughts?

David
    cube17576

--
    06 May 2017 08:26 AM

I have towed my Mini with my 2010 MDX for the last 4 years. I have a 16' flatbed trailer and the MDX pulls it just fine. Just watch your weight carefully. Gross combined weight rating is only 10100lbs. With the Mini and tires on the trailer, and 2 adults and gear in the car I crossed the scales at 9980lbs with a full tank of fuel. Most 16' open trailers weigh about 1500lbs, and you want to stay 5-10% under your max tow rating for a safety margin. Don't even think about an enclosed trailer. Even if you could find a light enough trailer, the MDX is not long enough or heavy enough to deal with the sway as the wind beats around an enclosed trailer.

A couple of upgrades I have made over the last few years that are not necessary, but help:

Trailer brakes. The first year I was using a borrowed trailer without brakes. It worked, but trailer brakes make a huge difference in control and safety. The factory MDX tow package comes with a 7 pin connector, and there is already a harness for the brake controller under the dash. I highly recommend a trailer with brakes and a good brake controller (I use a Tekonsha p3)

Race Ramps. The angle on the rams are most likely going to be too steep. Race Ramps are pricey, but well worth it. 

Helper air bags. A fully loaded trailer will cause the rear end of the MDX to squat quite a bit. I have added a set of air bags inside the rear springs which helps keep the rear end from squatting so much. It is a more comfortable ride, and handling is better as it puts the nose of the car back down. (I have Air Lift 1000 bags. Cheap and easy to install)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner