new guy in Oklahoma
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
shakergt

--
29 Nov 2014 08:59 PM
    Hey all. I'm new here and to road course racing. I'm moving from Branson, MO to Stillwater, OK and will be very near Hallett Motor Racing Circuit. I'm looking for advice on the cars setup. I will be racing an unconventional car and am looking forward to the challenge to make it handle like its on rails. So here's my baby, Frost Bite. A 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Nov 2014 11:19 AM
    I'm assuming this is a joke?? 
    shakergt

--
    30 Nov 2014 02:13 PM
    No not a joke. I don't know why my pics didn't post.
    shakergt

--
    30 Nov 2014 02:20 PM
    I already plan on the following:
    Drop springs
    Engine cradle having
    Tubular k member
    Larger front/rear sway bars
    Larger brakes
    Wider tires
    Custom bracing in spare tire well.
    Weight reduction
    Swap in tr-3650 5-speed
    Stage 3 clutch
    Mild engine build for NA with a capability to eventually go boosted if I decide to later.

So as a total n00b what else should I consider. I want to keep it street legal as well
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Nov 2014 04:25 PM
    I would suggest a car that might remotely be competitive would be a good start instead of throwing money at that car.
    shakergt

--
    30 Nov 2014 05:05 PM
    Wow. I thought this would be a helpful, supportive place, but seems I was wrong. I dare to be different instead of drag racing the same ol mustangs and camaros, or road racing miatas and wrx's. I just want to have fun. I don't care about winning. I'm in a car I adore and handles better stock than you would think. Once it's built I can't imagine what it would be like. There is already an autocross Mark VIII, so it's not a huge stretch.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Nov 2014 06:10 PM

I think some people may have misunderstood what you're asking. Are you looking to road race, or are you just looking for some track time to have fun with a car you love?  HPDEs and the like? If so, you don't really need to do anything to your car, you can just hit the track with your autocross setup and have fun.  Or is there a particular class you're building for?

Everything you do for autocross will transfer right over.  If you're doing stiff springs, you don't need very thick sway bars; or if you do thick sway bar, you can go a little softer with springs so it's not so harsh on the street. As for setup, as you say, it's unconventional, so it's difficult for us to help you with spring rates, camber, etc., and you may have some experimentation to do. Most people like their cars to be close to neutral, but whether it's slightly tight or loose is a personal preference, and something you can adjust with sway bar or shocks.

shakergt

--
    30 Nov 2014 06:32 PM
    I want this thing to handle like its on rails. As for class I'm unsure because I'm new to this. I saw Hallett has a thing where you can bring your car and do solo laps all day pretty much so I figure I'll start there with my current setup and modify accordingly. Suspension wise I'm only running stock height conversion springs but I do have Bilsteins out back for a Terminator Cobra. My front is still bouncy and I'm looking to remedy that. I do want it to be street legal but comfort isn't my issue as by the time it has these mods I will have a daily driver.

And I'm not the autocross guy. His name is John Driller if you know him. He's just hardly ever on for me to get any info from him.
    OZMDD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Dec 2014 11:21 AM
    It will never handle like its on rails. Fundamentally, you have an overweight, flexy, underpowered, poorly-suspended car with terrible geometry. Polish it all you like, it will still be a turd on the track. A $1500 Miata will literally drive circles around you and be more fun. Good luck.
    shakergt

--
    03 Dec 2014 11:44 AM
    So the mustangs and tbirds can do it but not me? This car doesn't even twist as it sits now. Very VERY minimal body roll. This car in stock trim weights just as much as a Thunderbird. I'm just looking for some fun in a car I love. If I ever compete with other cars it would be with mustangs probably since they are the closest thing to mine as it gets. Unless there's a group of Thunderbirds that race.
    murraypeterson

--
    03 Dec 2014 04:43 PM
    Nobody has said that you can't race your car. But, your opinions about the vehicle really are misplaced; it's frame and suspension is a sloppy piece of work, and it will *never* be all that good in comparison to other vehicles (e.g. Miata). So, go ahead and take it out for some lapping days and have fun. Just don't throw huge amounts of money at it in the hope that it will become competitive.
    ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Dec 2014 05:57 PM
    A mustang would be a much better choice and can be had for cheap as well. There are a ton of aftermarket parts available for the mustang and the power to weight ratio is substantially better. Look on Grassroots motorsports magazine for sale thread. There is a mustang already prepared for sale in there cheap, that  is where I would start.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner