Porsche 944 What class?
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
nickfaris

--
01 Dec 2014 03:22 AM

What class will i be in, and what do i have to do to prep the car? Will i need to do anything special to the car? Do  i need a special license? 

Any mods that i should do to the car just to make it better? any help is appreciated, really looking forward to getting to race next season!

Scootin159
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Dec 2014 09:27 AM
    Class will depend on which model 944 you have:
    "n/a" with the 2.5 or 2.7 8v motor: ES
    "S", "S2" or "Turbo": CS

Your other options would be to mod the suspension and run it in STR, or to add racing slicks as well and move up to CSP. Be warned... well prepped STR and CSP competition is FAST, and you're gonna struggle to hang with them in a 944.

As for car prep: Nothing special is "required", theoretically you could drive one off the showroom floor and compete with it at an autocross. It's generally recommended to make sure everything is in good running order, and to increase your tire pressures to something in the ballpark of 30-35psi (playing with these numbers is a good way to fine tune the handling to your liking).

No special license is required, just your typical state drivers license. An SCCA membership is required, but to start with you can just purchase a "weekend membership" on site at the event. Basically just show up at the event with $40-60 cash in hand (price varies by region).

That will all get you started "short term". "Long term" you'll decide what class you want to run in, and you'll either mod the car you have to compete there, or you'll buy "the car" that is competitive for that class. A 944 is reasonably competitive in stock form in the street classes, but IMHO it's too heavy to be very competitive on a national scale.
    hanhenze

--
    08 Dec 2014 11:49 AM
    I started Solo six years ago in a '88 924S as a novice in ES. Surprisingly enough that was a tough class even at a regional event. Those Miatas will give you fits! Later I tried 944S and turbo 944 but that 924S was just as quick as the more powerful of the 944 line. My recommendation is start with good tires. Hancock RS3s will serve you well. If you've got stock 15" phone dial wheels, look into going one size larger tire width and one series size smaller tire diameter. You'll get a better contact patch on the width with a bit more torque and lower the car with a smaller series tire. Next stock legal improvement are shocks. You're front struts are easy to stuff with new shock inserts. Koni makes a single adjustable that will help stiffen the front. That car is also prone to body roll in cornering so a stiffer front sway bar would be next. The M030 bar is popular. The rear suspension can be improved with Koni shocks there as well. Those will have three stiffness settings IIRC. After doing all or anyone of those suspension mods, get a good alignment and have them max out the negative camber (which won't be much).  Anything beyond those improvements will put you into Street Touring R or Street Prepared but I wouldn't go there until you get a few seasons under your belt. Most of all, maximize your seat time and ask for pointers from seasoned drivers. Ride with them, let them ride with you and even let them drive your car (at test n tune). You'll learn a lot from someone beating you in your own car! That 944 will be prone to under steer and we used to run 2 PSI more in the front than rear to combat that.
    Homer23

--
    05 Jan 2015 02:43 PM
    I suggest that since you're first starting out, just race your car as is (in good running condition) for your first 8 races. A big mistake is to get a bunch of expensive mods to your 944, not like autocross that much, and end up wasting a grand or more. Most of the drivers are going to be MUCH better than you are, so you just need to get some experience under your belt. Make it a point to have fun, because that's what this sport was made for. Also, talk to many of the drivers to get pointers and find out other autocross specific info that is easier to tell you in person. After 8 races or a full season, you should have a fairly good idea of what class or car to go to, but you need to drive those cars on an autocross course to know for sure.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner