Roll Bar Fabrication
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Tubaguy

--
13 Dec 2014 06:50 PM

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.  I have been reading and rereading the rule book to set up a MGB to run e modified, please excuse any misinterpretations of the rules or any differences in terms that I use.  I have done lots of fabrication but have never done a roll cage and that is one of the next projects coming up.  

Reading through the rule book I plan to use 1.75 inch tubing, my biggest questions come from the bracing.  The passenger compartment is likely similar to a Miata and I noticed the rule book suggests that braces go to the back of the car whenever possible.  I plan to do something like what I perceive to be a 6 point cage with two braces to the front and two to the rear.  I notice from many pictures that the forward braces on many rollbars are quite high, above the door on cars similar to mine and was wondering why that is.  I noted that at least one brace has to be in the top third of the hoop and at least 30 degrees from vertical.  Is this a packaging issue and if so, other than padding, what can I do to make these braces safe since they would likely go right next to my helmet?  I have a full face helmet and got nice racing seats with lateral support and 5 point racing harnesses already.

Also, this will be a two driver car also piloted by my soon to be wife, she is shorter than me so I assume that I should set up the bar to be two inches above my helmet and six inches behind the seat at the setting I will use.  Would that be the safest option for both of us.  

FritzSpeed

--
    15 Dec 2014 04:54 PM
    Tubaguy,

Are you opting for a full cage for safety, or to stiffen the chassis? I currently run a SCCA approved bolt in bar that I obtained from Kirk Racing Products. I'm also curious why you are building for E Mod vs. XP. Can to share any details on your drivetrain?

Regards,
    Joe
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Dec 2014 07:10 PM
    The cool kids are in EM...

There are a lot of cars with roll bars not meeting rules. The rules are pretty confusing (IMO) with some parts saying "should" or "recommended" and others saying "shall", the former not being required.

Anything close to your head should be covered in the SFI type padding which *should* be good.

There is a rule about the bar for second drivers not having to meet the same standards. I have the same problem, my wife is 5'3" and I am 6'7".

DaveW

Tubaguy

--
    15 Dec 2014 07:29 PM
    The Drivetrain at least for now isn't terribly radical, I was looking for a Camaro to build and found a cheap MGB that wasnt worth restoring so I have it almost running with a 4.3 Chevy V6 in it. Down the line I might bump up the compression, port the heads and get a more radical cam in it but for the moment it has a small 4 barrel and headers. Right now I just want to get it going and see where the weak points are and go from there. For the moment it might be better to run X prepared, I am new to the faster classes so I plan to make lots of mistakes but have some fun.

Joe, from the picture on your profile I am looking to build something similar to what you have, to struts or supports or whatever they are called to the front and then probably some links to the back.

I agree that the roll cage/bar rules are confusing at times. I used to run a Fiesta in STF and am finding that in order to understand the rule book to run non street classes you have to pretty much read it cover to cover 10 times, then find ever appendix and scan it and between my dad and I we might have a car that is totally legal. The whole scatter shield rules might be my next set of questions. For Hoosier A6 tires I wouldn't need one or a battery disconnect, correct?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner