4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Capitalistix

--
16 Dec 2014 04:42 PM

Hi there,

I apologize in advance if this isnt the correct subforum or if I need a first post elsewhere (wouldnt be the first time Ive done so on a forum)

Im brand new to the SCCA, and have been incredibly interested in both autoX and club racing. I would like to begin racing sometime this coming year in events but Im not sure what type of car/events to start in. Im no stranger to cars and would like to be competitive fairly quickly. I realize one must begin as a novice and move up from there with skill level steadily increasing, but Im not interested in certain classes (spec miata etc.) What I would ideally like to do is race in the Touring classes as soon as I can. I plan on attending a racing school and then purchasing the appropriate car. I would like to race C6/C7s if possible, but I have no idea where to start/what types of C6/7s are legal in which classes (Z06s, ZR1s) etc. I have downloaded the GCR and looked it over but its a bit confusing to me as I simply cant find a good section where eligible car makes/models are plainly listed for all the classes. Perhaps if someone had a massive and specific chart It would help a beginner lol. I like the idea that in autoX you can for the most part run your street car. I would like to invest in a car that will be somewhat competitive in a club racing class, I can autoX as well, and drive it home (if they even exist). I have seen pictures online of lightly modified C6 Grandsports and normal C6s with what look to be roll cages, racing in touring classes and they still appear stock enough to drive home on the street, thats what I have in mind.

Any info/help/guidance at all is MOST welcomed and sincerely appreciated. I apologize again if this isnt in exactly the right area, but as a newcomer to the SCCA I felt I had to take a stab somewhere and start asking questions because I havent been able to find these answers by myself.

Also, I live in the Daytona Beach FL area if that makes any regional difference rules wise.

PullG
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Dec 2014 10:06 PM
    While it's not too hard to have a competitive autocross car you can drive on the street, it's much harder to achieve that for a track car. Given the differences between autocross and road-racing rulesets, developing one that's good at all three is practical impossibility.

I'd recommend you start with autocross --easiest and cheapest to start out with, and very easy to do with a street-driven car...particularly with a C6/C7 Corvette. That'll get you going quickly, give you the opportunity to develop contacts, and time to figure out how you want to approach your road racing goals. And as it works out, being in Daytona Beach puts you within easy reach of both kinds of events. See the Central Florida Region website (http://www.cfrscca.org/) for more details.
    Capitalistix

--
    17 Dec 2014 08:10 AM
    Okay, thank you so much! Im on the site and trying to figure out where the C7 Z06 and C6 classifications are for solo. While websurfing I found this article and video and it seems like this man Mike Pettiford, has his C6 grandsport set up for T-1. This is the kind of thing I'm most curious about, i.e. where I can find out what models can compete in which classes. Id hate to get a C6 GS and realize I could have gotten a C6 ZR1 or C7 Z06 and still raced them.
    loudes13
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Dec 2014 04:47 PM
    Do you already own a street car? If so you can autox it.

A race shop like OPM can rent spec miata's and also recommend a track day or hpde to try out higher speed race track events. Bring $$, lots of $$, it addicting!
    PullG
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Dec 2014 11:02 PM
    Go to http://www.scca.com/solo/ and spend some time reading. But more importantly, go to some events and talk to people...that'll give you a better idea of what's competitive in which class, and the effort required for any particular car to prepare it well. Take whatever you're currently driving (assuming it's not a tall, tippy vehicle) and sign up for an autocross or a PDX (track day). Or both. Experience and exposure will lead you to your answers.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner