Boring CIVIC Beginner
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
wyattdelsol

--
26 Dec 2014 01:56 PM

Hello out there! I've dreamed of making Autocross my hobby for a while now. My wife gave me the Starting Line package as a Christmas gift and I'm excited to get out there. Last year I traded in my '03 Audi A4 S-line for a run-of-the mill 2009 Honda Civic LX (I mean, this thing even has hub caps for God's sake). I wanted to avoid the staggering repair costs I was incurring with my Audi. But, what I did was completely sabotage my future in Autocross - at least I felt.  After reading some articles from the SCCA - they are encouraging, whatever car you have out in the driveway is the perfect one to get started. 

I was considering going out and trading for a nice BMW E30 or something to have a more "respectable" vehicle for the track. But, I thoroughly enjoy driving my Civic - it's a very nice handling vehicle. After all, the idea of the Starting Line and Autocross itself is testing the limits of your vehicle and getting to know the feel of your own car. Maybe I should lower it and slap some rims on and have some fun with it? What do you all think? Be brutal if necessary... but I need some honest opinions here. 

Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Dec 2014 10:19 AM
    Don't do anything to your car until you have a season under your belt autocrossing since the biggest impact will be you that first year and your progression. After that, assess what you want to do with your car or what car you want to change to. Too much emphasis is placed at first on the car. I've seen fast up and coming drivers blow away people at local events in Subaru wagons.
    Cligedy

--
    27 Dec 2014 11:39 AM
    Your thinking that your Civic is boring just shows that you haven't autocrossed it yet. Once you get it out on course, none of that will matter. After you have a few events under your belt, consider getting better tires (and maybe wheels too. Wait to really modify until the car is slower than the driver.

Enjoy the gift; the starting line package is a screaming deal.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Dec 2014 02:56 PM
    Honda Civic has actually been a really popular autocross car, with one class becoming virtually "spec Civic Si" for a while. You won't be taking FTD, but your Civic LX will still be a ton of fun to autocross and give you a better idea of where you want to go after this.

Do Starting Line in your Civic and do a couple local events, and just have fun!

wyattdelsol

--
    29 Dec 2014 01:25 PM
    Thanks everyone! I was hoping the Civic would do the job - I thought I was lame thinking it's a super fun car to drive. Sounds like I'm not the only one who likes the feel of a civic haha.

"blow away people at local events in Subaru wagons" --- My wife's car is a Forester and I have a blast driving that thing too. Might be fun to get it out on the track one of these days, if it doesn't roll. Lol.

Thanks again everyone. I'm ready to get out there.
    wyattdelsol

--
    29 Dec 2014 01:28 PM

After I have a few events under my belt, I'm seriously considering new rims and tires. I don't want to get rid of the Civic as my daily driver because it's such a joy to drive. But, I really would like to put some decent wheels and tired and maybe a bit of suspension work. Thanks for the encouragement and tips!

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Dec 2014 06:28 PM
    be sure to keep the rules in mind if and when you decide to upgrade your car. For wheels, you cannot get wheels wider than the factory wheels and they cannot be more than 1" more diameter than the stock wheels. For example, if your car comes with 15x6.5" wheels, you can only buy that size or 16x6.5" (I don't think you'd want 14's).

Other than that, yeah, what everyone else said. A Civic LX isn't the car to have in H-Street but it's not so far off that you can't be competitive if you work on your technique. The guy who won the H-street season championship in my region (which is a very competitive region) drives a Diesel Jetta, so you don't always have to have the "car to have" to have fun and be successful at the local level.

wyattdelsol

--
    31 Dec 2014 11:11 AM

Good to know! Thanks a lot. I'll stay stock for now and have fun. If I want to expand and customize I'll make sure I put out the feelers and see what the suggestions would be for mods at that point. Thanks again!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner