0 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
JimmyNX

--
19 Jan 2015 06:55 PM
    Hi everyone,

I have been toying with the idea of converting my rear suspension in my Datsun 510 to a rocker arm/cantilever style rear suspension.

I am looking for anyone to point me in the right direction as far as reading material ( an actually book would be nice ), however I am open to anyone helping me out on this thread as well.

The Datsun 510 utilizes a semi rear trailing arm suspension, where it is prone to camber/toe changes over bump travel. There are some interesting fixes, mainly altering the control arm mounting/pivot points.

I can tell you that my rear subframe/control arms all have mono ball connections, and the crossmember is "slotted" to provide adjustment. This is a common modification for the 510 IRS.

The car gets "custom" with the way the rear coil overs have been done. The swing arms have been modified to accept a double bearing end Koni 30 series shock ( 30-9325- New p/n is 30-1308). The shocks are coil overs and I can comment that the car is very stiff in the rear. This was a common thing to do during the “era” the car was originally built ( late 80’s early 90s), and of course the side effect is throw and catch type of car (wee).

Besides being able to say I have an adult version of an erector set in the trunk of my race car, I can say that my decision to wonder about doing this conversion is cost related:
    Shock prices could be considerable cheaper
    I can hopefully gain more tire clearance.
    Shocks will be easier to adjust to compensate for surface types and general tuning.

I have taken a very close look at Chris Dorsey’s ( great guy btw ) Corolla and think that I could mimic his setup reasonably. I am also wondering how easily my current mounting setup could be converted to run this rocker arm/cantilever type setup.

I have attached some image of my cars current rear suspension mounting points inside the trunk.

Thanks for looking, and I look forward to any and all advice!

Jim

Attachments
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner