Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
sotti
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
22 Jan 2015 01:36 PM
    I probably shouldn't be too worried since I'll never be nationally competitive, but my M3 just started developing it's notorious subframe mount cracks.

The fix is to drop everything off the car and weld the cracks and weld up reinforcement plates. Is this sort of thing typically allowed? It's not really a performance improvement, it just keeps the car from tearing itself apart, it's adding weight. With as frequently as these cars are having issues, I would think that this has come up before.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jan 2015 11:14 AM
    I believe the answer is that it is allowed by the following:

13.1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS
    If a modification is not specifically authorized in this or previous Sections of these Rules, it is not allowed.
    The addition of small holes for attachment hardware for authorized modifications is implicit (e.g., holes for fasteners to mount additional gauges, holes for brackets to mount shock absorber remote reservoirs, etc.). However, these holes may serve no other purpose.
    All repairs must comply with factory-authorized methods and procedures, or industry standard methods, as follows: If the OEM does not provide an appropriate method of repair, industry standard methods and procedures may be used. Such repairs may not result in a part or combination of parts that provides a competitive advantage (e.g., significant change to weight, suspension control, power, etc.) as compared to the standard part(s). Competitors are strongly cautioned to use this allowance to make common-sense repairs only.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jan 2015 11:22 AM
    Confirmed legal.
    This is a specific example used by SEB member to explain the addition of the rule above.

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/445930
    landstuhltaylor

--
    26 Jan 2015 09:54 AM
    This is great news to me. Even after skimming over that section I had assumed adding the reinforcements would not be legal. Obviously common sense applies with not going overboard but it's good to know I have the freedom to solve the issue.
    cmstrilchuk

--
    03 Feb 2015 12:19 AM
    Would the structural foam injection in the subframe also be legal, IF it were done preemptively?
    It is / was a BMW repair procedure, so qualifies on that count.
    My common sense says you are not gaining any advantage over someone who had cracks repaired in this manner.

Curtis
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner