Falken AZENIS RT615K as Cold Weather Tire
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
danderso

--
28 Jan 2015 03:02 PM
    I have come across a set of Falken AZENIS RT615K tires that I won in a local region contingency. I want to put them to use for this upcoming season. I run in Texas where we have a wide variety of weather from very hot to near freezing in the spring and fall months on any given weekend. For hot weather events I am planning to run Rivals or Kooks, but curious how these AZENIS RT615K tires from Falken do in the cold and/or wet? How do they handle the cold vs, hot, vs wet?

thanks in advance.

David
    danderso

--
    28 Jan 2015 03:02 PM
    By the way I am defining cold weather as below 60 degrees ambient in this area.
    racerX_244

--
    28 Jan 2015 10:58 PM
    I found the 615k to be a great tire for cold runs, not needing a warm up lap. They also tend to get greasy the hotter they get. So yes, you're on the right track.
    danderso

--
    28 Jan 2015 11:40 PM
    Many thanks for the feedback.
    mball
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Jan 2015 08:59 AM
    They are supposed to be very bad in the wet.
    Knocker

--
    05 Feb 2015 01:26 PM

Posted By danderso on 28 Jan 2015 03:02 PM
    By the way I am defining cold weather as below 60 degrees ambient in this area.

Using your definition of cold weather, the Detroit area gets cold weather from September through May. I autocrossed on Falken Azenis RT615K tires for two autocross seasons. These tires have tremendous grip, but only in a narrow tread temperature range. During some events in April and October, I couldn't get the tires warm enough even with "hot lapping" that's allowed by some Detroit area clubs. During July and August, I had to use a water sprayer to cool the tires after each run.

Use the tires for generating big grins when the weather is warm, big spins when the weather is cold, but not for winning big trophies.
    danderso

--
    05 Feb 2015 10:24 PM
    Great feedback Knocker. Thank you. -- David
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner