F-Street M3
 18 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
trophyhunter

--
28 Jan 2015 10:33 PM

Just curious if anyone is aware of the options package on the '06 M3 that was in the top 5 ?
    IE: manual or SMG, hardtop and if it had the ZCP option......those are the key points that I would like to find out about
    I was able to find the specs on the 05 that placed 6th....... a "slick top" (hardtop), SMG with the ZCP option but wanted to find out about the 06.

Thank you
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Jan 2015 10:33 AM
    I don't recall that M3's options. I think it was a manual, slicktop, Non-ZCP - but not sure. But, I can give you my idea of what options to look for.

My main advice is they are all pretty much the same. No sunroof is a benefit, but most everything else is nearly a wash or up to your personal preference.

- No sunroof saves you 35lbs up high. (worth it)
    - SMG vs. Manual is probably a wash. Manual gives better feel off the line, but SMG is effortless shifting. SMG is 15lbs more.
    - ZCP changes steering ratio slightly. I see no real advantage. It also 'slightly' limits your size of wheels as it only came with 19x8/19x9.5 (i.e. no 18x8/18x9 option like all non-ZCP). Most will agree downsizing the 19 option to 18s by the rules is the best wheel option (run 18x8/18x9.5). But, I have toyed with downsizing the 18 option to 17s (give up a little rear wheel width for lower CG and or rake).

Other minor nickel and dime options to consider:
    - Manual seats. This lowers weight by about 12lbs (and I believe it lowers the seat approximately an inch - this is mostly my own observation - not confirmed. More headroom. Lower CG.)
    - Cloth seats. Grippier, better in the heat and cold, saves only about 2 lbs (not as much as most think).
    - Armrest. Saves 4 lbs.
    - Halogen lights. Saves 5 lbs.
    - Spoiler delete. Saves a 1 or 2 lbs.

How to prep for weight:
    - Wheels. You can save about 34lbs unsprung weight. (You have to use several M3 models on Tirerack to find the right sizes for some reason. For front 18x8 use any e46 M3 year. For rear 18x9.5, use '11 335i Coupe Base. Look for offsets for fronts of 40 to 54, for rear 20 to 34.
    - Muffler weighs a ton. Unfortunately in the rear, but you can save up to 38lbs. Midsection for another 5.
    - Trunk. Take out unattached carpet and board. Pump. Tools. About 30lbs.
    - Floor mats. Save 6 lbs.
    - Empty washer fluid for another 11lbs.

It should be possible to build an e46 M3 under 3200lbs.

Front grip is the major weakness of the e46 M3.
    Add front swaybar (my thought it medium size rather than super large).
    Pull the strut pins on the front strut towers for an additional 0.5 degree of camber.
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Jan 2015 08:38 PM
    Looking forward to seeing you guys at some point this season bringing the Bavarian invasion to FS.
    cmstrilchuk

--
    29 Jan 2015 10:56 PM
    Thank you for the run down, Nebulizer. I'm new to an 06 M3 ZCP SMG in F Street trim this year, looking to tick off the mods boxes you listed. While I can't do anything about my sunroof & power leather seats, I guess I can always stop eating cheeseburgers!
    What's the sweet spot for tires? 265/35 square for the gearing advantage?

Curtis
    landstuhltaylor

--
    02 Feb 2015 02:30 PM
    That car had a sunroof and stock exhaust.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/show...29&page=11

I'm planning on running my 02 fully optioned car this year with a pretty standard setup. 245/275 Hankooks with Koni Yellows and the medium GC bar. Other than that it's really just some lightweight wheels and exhaust.
    trophyhunter

--
    02 Feb 2015 08:07 PM

Thanks to all for your replies......very insightful !
    Open to any other opinions, observations or experiences.
    murphyslaww

--
    07 Feb 2015 09:52 AM
    looking into this route as well.

I'm wondering about the 245/275 route. Is there a reason for no larger than the 245's in front (that much oversteer ?), and not a square setup ? Say 265/265, or even 275/275. I'm thinking the 265's would fit, but not sure about the 275's.

Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Feb 2015 11:57 AM
    My guess is going much larger than 245's on 8" fronts will likely be pinched a bit. That was the tipping point to going with the E92 Comp since they can legally run 18x9 F, 18x10 R which can run 255/265's up front and even 275's in a pinch.
    murphyslaww

--
    07 Feb 2015 01:12 PM
    bouncing posts...

I had 255's on Style 44's on my E36 m325is, and it felt ok, but it was in SM class, and I had stripped out things I wasn't supposed to, and was probably in the 2700lb range. Long shot guess, but quite a bit lighter than I think you can get a street class E46 down to, which I think is around 3100-3200lbs.

I probably shouldn't have test drove a 15' mustang last night, as it's causing a lot of what will probably, ultimately, be unnecessary teeth gnashing as they haven't allowed you to build an E92 M3 for $30k like I had hoped. They tease you then you figure out you can't. Maybe a $40k one, but that doesn't allow me to start the Z3 prepared car at all.
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Feb 2015 02:19 PM
    I hear you. I sent you a pm re: a shortcut to this analysis. I found in FS particularly, choosing the exact right models really makes a big impact.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Feb 2015 12:00 PM
    I ran 245/275 on my e46 M3 last and tested 275/275 as well. I found no significant difference on back to back testing - within a tenth of a second.
    murphyslaww

--
    10 Feb 2015 06:08 PM
    When I was testing the SM budget build M325is, Mike Simanyi commented on a tire post I made, that it took him a while before he was able to eek out much improvement in R-comps between 245 and 285's.

Makes me wonder if I should just throw some 255/40-18 Z2's on the Mustang and see how it does.
    Slow M3

--
    29 Mar 2015 11:36 AM
    I ran 255/285 z2s last year on OEM 18s. It felt pretty good but I'm not sure I gained much from the 245/275 I ran the previous year other than my wallet was a little lighter. I'm trying to decide on a tire for this season, but there are so many new options I'm just not sure yet. Re71s, new rivals, rs3s? I need to step my game up this year as I got beat by some mustangs the last couple of events last season. :) right now I just have konis and a cat back. Going to add some hawk hp+ pads and maybe a front bar. What are people running their konis at? I haven't really messed with mine yet other than softening up the front. I'm thinking about full hard in the rear and full soft up front? Sucks that the rears are such a pain to adjust.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Mar 2015 11:05 AM

Posted By Jeremy on 29 Mar 2015 11:36 AM
    I ran 255/285 z2s last year on OEM 18s. It felt pretty good but I'm not sure I gained much from the 245/275 I ran the previous year other than my wallet was a little lighter. I'm trying to decide on a tire for this season, but there are so many new options I'm just not sure yet. Re71s, new rivals, rs3s? I need to step my game up this year as I got beat by some mustangs the last couple of events last season. :) right now I just have konis and a cat back. Going to add some hawk hp+ pads and maybe a front bar. What are people running their konis at? I haven't really messed with mine yet other than softening up the front. I'm thinking about full hard in the rear and full soft up front? Sucks that the rears are such a pain to adjust.

I wish I could remember what my Koni's are set at. I would guess the rears are mid and the fronts are either mid or soft. I run a Ground Control medium bar (had the big Race bar, but felt that was too much) - I probably have the swaybar near full soft (again, my memory is weak).
    Rival S and RE71R look to be the early favorites. Both "should" work well on the M3, and both will likely wear rather quickly. If you don't need absolute top tear, you might look for ever so slightly lower in the Z2* or RS3 which will wear significantly better by giving up hardly anything.

Slow M3

--
    30 Mar 2015 06:08 PM
    I had planned on going with the rs3 but since they aren't available for another 4 weeks I'm considering the rival S or re71. Our first PE is 4/26 but I suppose I could run my old tires for one more event. Decisions decisions
    Ales

--
    26 May 2015 01:19 PM
    Hey you're talking about me! Haha. I usually just poke around on the formus from time to time and don't actually post but here you go.

Pretty much most people hit it on the head here. Stephen co-drove with me at the crows and el toro pros last year so he knows pretty well in that M3 forum post. ZCP package, with sunroof, manual trans, power seats, nav, its pretty much the heaviest you could get it. I weighed it a pro in 2013 with stock wheels, floor mats but almost empty on fuel at 3250lbs.

At Nats last year I had out of the box Koni yellows, Turner front bar, some hawk pads and 18" wheels. Yes I had the stock exhaust. I ordered an aftermarket exhaust but it didn't show up in time. We ran 255 hankooks on the front, 275 rear. We were on the smallest tires of all the M3's but as previously stated, most don't notice a huge difference when you go up in size, you just loose feel.
    thebmwnut
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06 Jul 2015 07:38 PM
    what kind of suspension setting are people running camber and toe. Im guessing front camber is set at all you can get from removing the pins so what about rear camber and front rear toe settings? Thanks Russell
    lacartus

--
    09 Jul 2015 09:16 PM

Posted By thebmwnut on 06 Jul 2015 07:38 PM
    what kind of suspension setting are people running camber and toe. Im guessing front camber is set at all you can get from removing the pins so what about rear camber and front rear toe settings? Thanks Russell

2009 E90
    F: -1.5 L&R, zero toe
    R: -1.8 left, -1.7 right, zero toe
    rd front bar, full stiff
    RE-71R 265/18 F and 275/18 Rear
    thebmwnut
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Jul 2015 10:25 PM
    Guess I should have put in my question I have a 06 e46. camper /toe settings front and rear
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner