4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
austin296

--
25 Feb 2015 10:55 PM
    New guy here with a question:

I am in the process of building a car from scratch and I would like to solo race it once finished. I have looked through the rules and it appears that I would be in class Modified A, but having never looked at this before I wanted to make sure. I am also confused about the minimum weight requirements.

The car is a tube frame chassis rear engine 2 seater using a 1998 Buick Riviera supercharged v6 engine as a donor. The car will be fully street legal and will be registered as a 1958 Lotus 7 replica. The engine is 3.8L with a 4 speed A/T. I estimate the car will weigh around 1800-2000lbs with me in it.

Any help is appreciated.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Feb 2015 09:02 AM
    If the car ends up substantially like a Lotus 7 in regards to general look, engine location, etc, you would be legal in E Modified which would have a minimum weight of 1850 with driver.

Otherwise, basically anything is legal in AM and you would be fine there as well.

I would need to see pictures/plans/sketches to give a better opinion on EM.

DaveW
    Robert Puertas
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Feb 2015 10:00 AM
    Rear-engined is the problem. Since Lotus 7s are not rear-engined, EM is out.
    However, you could make a Fiero or Lotus Esprit body that bolts onto the chassis, and then EM might be a possibility... Sounds like it will be fun no matter what class you end up in.
    Oh, and many regions have an open street class, sort of a run-what-you-brung catch-all for kit cars and things that don't fit into the national rule set. Tell us where you are located, and someone in your region might be able to chime in on that.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Feb 2015 11:07 AM

Posted By Robert Puertas on 26 Feb 2015 10:00 AM
    Rear-engined is the problem. Since Lotus 7s are not rear-engined, EM is out.
    However, you could make a Fiero or Lotus Esprit body that bolts onto the chassis, and then EM might be a possibility... Sounds like it will be fun no matter what class you end up in.
    Oh, and many regions have an open street class, sort of a run-what-you-brung catch-all for kit cars and things that don't fit into the national rule set. Tell us where you are located, and someone in your region might be able to chime in on that.

Duh, I missed the rear engine part. Sorry for the misinfo.

DaveW
    austin296

--
    26 Feb 2015 01:32 PM
    Thanks for the info. I am in Houston, Tx of anyone has info in that area.

Here is a model of the frame

http://imageshack.com/a/img631/4369/oyzMtI.jpg
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner