tire pressure
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Manatee

--
28 Feb 2015 03:19 PM
    Starting second year in autocross running in the FS with stock tires. Towards the end of the season last year I was trying to adjust pressure. I've chalked the tires and what looks good was 39/f and 36/r. This off season i've been looking around on and some say more pressure in the rear instead of the front.(40/f-45/r) Any others RWD cars owners have suggestions?
    GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Feb 2015 11:57 PM
    It depends upon whether you're running the same size tires all around, or running different sizes front and back.

Personally, I ran different pressures front to rear, with the rear being lower, but then again my rear wheels were wider than the front.
    Manatee

--
    01 Mar 2015 07:50 PM
    Im using the stock tires that came on the car. 2014 Mustang 3.7l automatic
    lost won

--
    03 Mar 2015 02:15 AM
    I like the 39/36 you mentioned above. I run a 2012 Mustang GT in FS and I run a little bit more in the front (42) because I have a little more weight up front. Can't imagine why I'd ever run higher pressure in the rear of a street Mustang with stock tires.
    Best Regards,
    John
    Nathan Atkins

--
    09 Mar 2015 07:39 PM
    The following is totally untrue and obviously terrible advice, use at your own risk:

but looking at the Mustang V6 with it's 97H load index OE tires (for the 235/45/18's), it's going to see ~1485/1572 pounds on the outside tires at full loading. which roughly aligns with 33/36 psi on the P-metric load inflation chart . Generally speaking in a perfect world these pressures should keep the contact patch flat and give you the highest grip level and diversions from this are for adjusting the behavior of the car or increasing feel at the expense of ultimate grip.

I always start by figuring out the load the tires are going to be presented with at ~1g and then using a tire pyrometer from there, chalking is ok if you don't have a pyrometer, but anyone that has one will let you use it (accepting that if you break the probe you must replace it) It seems to get you in the ballpark and the pyrometer gets you the rest of the way there.

Everything I said is wrong and awful,
    Nate
    andrewjohn1317

--
    31 Mar 2015 03:15 AM
    i recommend 32 to 35 psi in the tires when they’re cold.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner