Author Messages
lowside67
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
13 Mar 2015 11:32 AM
    Hello everybody

I am hoping there might be some insight as to
    1) if the 350Z stands a chance against the mighty FR-S, especially in our sealed asphalt surface which is very low grip compared to concrete
    2) if anybody has any thoughts on the best year/model?

I like the cars but am looking for a competitive CS ride and wouldn't be happy with it as my DD if it wasn't also a solid choice for autocross. My region is reasonably strong and I am a seasoned autocrosser so am hoping for a really realistic assessment of its chances as I have not ever competed in one.

Thank you in advance
    Mark
    twistedwankel

--
    13 Mar 2015 12:48 PM
    The guys I know who still run the 350z fast and 370 faster in CS are competitive with every car in that class. Wider rims/tires and more torque than the twins. Only two guys locally running year round in CS are faster than my RX8 because I'm 68. When I let the younger guys drive my car they are all within .2-.4 sec in the whole group. The legal Scion crash bolts gave them more front camber and made the twins actually competitive in Street. I got an 04 RX8 4 years ago, with a new motor, because I wanted 4 doors, love rotaries, and has a usable back seat and trunk - but don't use it as a DD (retired). Plan on replacing all the wear parts of your suspension in the 350Z or buy one from a competitor that's all ready sorted out and save $2000. My one cent. Enjoy the Nissan. Those are great cars with a bulletproof engine. I came very close to buying one.
    lowside67
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Mar 2015 12:33 AM
    The 370Z would definitely be superior to the 350 but is no longer in C-street moving forward. It looks like nobody seriously campaigned a 350 at nationals which makes sense given the advantages of the 370, but makes me wonder if the 350 is suitable.

Anybody have any thoughts on whether the wider wheels/tires (9" F and 10" R) along with an extra few hp of the 07+ is worth the 150+lbs difference (and $7500 more)?

Mark
    GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Mar 2015 12:37 AM
    I coned out of trophies -- not that surprising because after 9+ years of serious autocrossing the front bearings were shot (and the rears weren't far behind).

I don't know if that qualifies as "seriously campaigned a 350 at nationals" or not, but if I wasn't in the process of moving this year, I'd probably have mine out more. As it is, this year I'm taking the time to refresh almost everything...

P.S. while the bearings were probably "OK" at nationals, a couple of months later with the fronts in the air, there was a definitive amount of play. Considering I just nicked each of the cones...
    MattLuckow

--
    28 Mar 2015 09:24 AM
    Some people think the earliest cars are the best choice because they are the lightest.

I've driven nearly every year of 350z between cones, but in factory configuration only. My favorite was the very end of the line cars - the 07-08 VQ35HR (bump on the hood.) Specifically, the Grand Touring trim due to the wide 18x9 & 19x10 wheels.

Common issues - have to drive around front end push, and really manage those front tires. Also, the diff isn't all that great. But lots of torque, and slalom well for their weight.

I found the cars much less accurate than the rx8, but fun. On the right kind of course they're not hopeless at all.
    GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Apr 2015 12:18 AM
    Front end push is a common complaint, and is usually caused by underestimating how fast the 350Z accelerated off the previous corner... ;)
    cretinx

--
    30 Jun 2015 11:21 AM
    I believe if someone properly developed the car for CS it is the car to have. All the extra weight of the later cars should be mostly removable in CS trim, the extra width and significant power bump all make a difference.
    GlennAustin
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Jul 2015 12:14 AM
    I agree, but we need a good example -- and a driver willing to bet on it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner