Ideal wheel rate to corner weight ratio
 3 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dgoetz

--
21 Mar 2015 07:00 PM
    I am in the process of ordering custom shocks and springs for my Emod. I have already calculated my frt and rear motion ratio, wheel rates, corner and unsprung weights. From what i have read the ideal autocross wheel rate to corner weight ratio is some where between .8 and 1.2. In other words if i have a front average corner weight of 450lbs the ideal wheel rate to corner weight ratio would put the wheel rate between 360# to 540#. The rear average corner weight is 490# or ideal ratio between 392# to 588#. My question is does the sway bar or in my case lack of any effect the ideal ratio? My plans right now are to go with a front wheel rate of 450# or 1 to 1 and the rear 390# or a .8 ratio. The reason i am not using a 1 to 1 ratio on the rear is because i don't have a front sway bar and also there is more weight transferred to the frt under braking during turns. Am i on the money or where should I start?
    wrandleman

--
    14 Apr 2015 04:41 PM
    I haven't heard of using a spring/corner weight ratio. The variable is bounce frequency which can vary widely due to geometry. If you're not a coil over just remove the shock and measure the bounce frequency directly. ~2.5, 2.75,3.0 Hz for street, DOT slick, Bias Slick is the high side.
    Dragonbill

--
    15 May 2015 08:55 AM
    Yes there is an ideal corner wt to wheel rate ratio. Do not use a different ratio front to rear. If you need to do this to "balance" the car something else is quite wrong. While Frequency is a popular statistic, thee is no need to bring time base into the equation for a good spring setup. Time base is a shock function. If you would like help with this, check out www.smallfortuneracing.com
    CM31

--
    19 Jun 2015 01:28 AM
    I agree that the front rate ratio and the rear should be the same, or very close. I have run from .65 all the way up to 1.4, and I have settled in on 1.05 front, .95 rear. It is a bit stiff, but the relative lack of body roll helps keep the tires more upright, and the transients are good. The lower rates, around .8 or less, gave a more forgiving car, but at the expense of being "mushy", and really didn't have enough spring to support the front under braking with rates .7 or so.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner