Gear ratio changes
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
dieselmax

--
24 Mar 2015 09:58 AM
    I am hoping I can find some expertise on the subject as I can't seem to find an answer in scca website rule book. What I've heard is that gear changes are only allowed if there was an optional gearing ratio from factory. So I have a 14 V6 mustang (base model) with 2.73 gears and 17x7 40mm offset wheels, now the 11-14 V6 mustangs came with two different packages on top of the base model that I have.
    #1: Pony, Premium, or appearance package (just different names for the same thing)
    -18x8 44mm offset wheels
    -leather interior
    -sync, xm radio, display screen etc.
    -different grille and extra decals and badges
    -2.73 gears

#2: Performance package
    -19x8.5 50mm offset wheels
    -strut tower brace
    -3.31 gears

So, can I change to 3.31 gears? I'm not so interested in the wheels at the moment, just the gears. I read somewhere that I'd have to do a full package change? So wheels and all. I've only run one autox before so I'm looking at staying in the street class and the only mod I'm really interested in doing is the gears, I did read elsewhere that if the ratio chosen wasn't an option then you'd be bumped into SM, to the best that I can tell, 3.31 should be fine, but 3.27, 3.55 etc. wouldn't. Any help clarifying this for me would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Mar 2015 11:06 AM
    If the performance gear ratio was only available in a package, you must do everything else that was included in that package including non performance items like the display screen, Sync, badging, for example. Your car would have to be identical to a car with the real deal package. Cherry picking certain things out of packages isn't legal :)
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Mar 2015 11:14 AM
    To be more clear, if the Performance Pack came as a stack on from another package (ie you had to have another pack to upgrade to PP) then you have to put in all those items as well. As for the wheels though, you can still drop back down 1" to 18x8.5 provided you are within the ET allowances.
    Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Mar 2015 11:27 AM

Posted By Z3papa on 24 Mar 2015 11:14 AM
    To be more clear, if the Performance Pack came as a stack on from another package (ie you had to have another pack to upgrade to PP) then you have to put in all those items as well.

^ Good point especially since it seems manufactures like to stack packages more and more these days and that appears to be the case here.
    dieselmax

--
    24 Mar 2015 01:03 PM
    Thanks guys, I've looked harder and have found that the PP came with more than I thought, it also has different brakes, advance trac "unique" tuning, and SVT sway bars. This leads me to believe it would be bumped up into STX at least. And the real kicker, it's not available in Canada, so I'm stuck with the stock gearing and wheels as the MCA and the Apperance package is only available in the premium v6, not the standard (in Canada, in the US it's available in both trim levels).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Mar 2015 07:17 PM
    Wouldn't badging associated with different model packages fall under comfort & convenience?

So long as the radio you're using is the same weight or heavier, C&C would apply there, too, wouldn't it?
    Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Mar 2015 01:26 AM

Posted By sjfehr on 25 Mar 2015 07:17 PM
    Wouldn't badging associated with different model packages fall under comfort & convenience?

So long as the radio you're using is the same weight or heavier, C&C would apply there, too, wouldn't it?

It depends, if he was missing certain extra badges that were on the performance package car then that's weight reduction. If the number of badges are the same and in the same locations, then he could probably use C&C.

Chances are the higher end radio on the optional package weighs more than his base model radio. He'd need to have sufficient documentation showing that his radio weighs as much or more since the burden of proof falls on the protestee not the protester. If the speakers or any other ancillary equipment are different, same applies there too. If he lacked said documentation then he would be DSQ'd.

bidaci

--
    26 Mar 2015 07:30 AM
    If possible you could change your effective gear ratio by going to a 16 inch wheels with a smaller OD tire. IE. The ZII comes in a 225/45/16 that has an OD of 23.9. If you can fit 16's this may help you get closer to what you want.
    Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Mar 2015 09:49 AM
    He wouldn't even have to downsize to 16's to make a significant impact on gearing. His 2014 V6 Mustang came with a truck like 60 series sidewall (225/60/17). He could just stay on 17's and take the aspect ratio way down.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Mar 2015 11:31 AM
    That's the Ticket - Potenza RE-71R, Dunlop Star Spec, and Toyo R1R 200TWR are all available in 245/45/17.

That would be 6.9% smaller diameter, or equivalent to running a 2.91 gear if my math is right (maybe it's not).

OK, maybe that change is a little extreme.
    Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Apr 2015 02:36 PM
    Wasn't there a stand alone 3.55 option? Or was that just for the GT?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner