SPS 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 30 Mar 2015 09:10 PM by  cboettch
Can I still run my 7 clone in D or E Mod?
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cboettch

--
29 Mar 2015 11:53 PM
    Hello all. l'm looking for some guidance (forgive me if this is long winded) I completed a scratch build, street legal, 7 clone last summer and competed (I use that term loosely, as it was my 1st year) in DMod with my local club. (1.6l NA, 1300lbs). I say competed as I am a class of one in Mod. As winters are long (Manitoba), and I enjoy working on the car as much as drivng it, I built a turbo system for it. I didn't do this with any class in mind. It was just a cool learning experiance ( like the rest of the car). This matters little localy as again I'm a class of one, but I' m going with a group to Lincoln in May for both events. So as far as I know I'm now over CC'd for DMod and under weight for EMod. Does this leave me in AMod? Can I still register in D or E and be protested. I don't care if I'm DQ'd. I'm not interested in points ( nor based on some of the avatars I see here do I expect to collect any 😳) I'd just like to run with like vehicles (at that I'm already feeling a little over my head). Or is that bad form and I'm stuck in AMod?
    Thanks for taking the time...
    Chris
    autocrossaddict

--
    30 Mar 2015 10:24 AM
    I built my Mini Cooper for what I wanted and had a similar train of thought as yours. But I was quickly told to run where my mods put me and STFU. I suspect you will get a similar response, at least at the "serious business" national level events.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Mar 2015 10:28 AM
    Chris,

Yes, with the 1.6 and forced induction, you will be oversized for D and @1300lbs too light for E.

I personally wouldn't care if you competed in E as long as you DSQ'd yourself, but I don't know how good of an idea that is overall. However, after seeing what happened in Dixie with the STS competitor DSQ'ing themselves I am not sure how good of an idea this is. What should have been very simple (competitor was running last years 140TW tires) for whatever reason turned into a lot of drama and BS throughout the event.

The spring nationals are somewhat a serious bizness :) event, so I don't know if I would introduce that drama. Also, if you do enter D or E, make sure you DSQ yourself...otherwise it will cost someone the protest fee to protest you, which would be a major party foul and pretty rude.

Finally, your car is legal in BM too, a little better than A.

DaveW
    cboettch

--
    30 Mar 2015 12:31 PM
    Thanks for the responses gentlemen. Certanly not looking to add drama or attract attention to myself. I didn't realize ther was a fee for protests.

I'm running on DOT tires so I did not need a scatter shield, master switch, or drive shaft hoop in DMod. Do I need these now if I'm in A or B Mod? Would I also be required to run a harness?
    Thank you
    Chris
    dglong
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Mar 2015 01:50 PM
    :-) Are you sure it's not a 1428 cc instead of a 1600 cc?
    Del Long
    gumby

--
    30 Mar 2015 06:05 PM
    Couldn't you simply add ballast up to min Emod weight and run legally there?
    cboettch

--
    30 Mar 2015 09:10 PM
    Haha Del, if only i could pull that off with a straight face 😁.

Gumby, when I 1st read your post My first thought was- blasphemy, I didn't build a 7 to add weight ! But, after Some consideration this may be an option given my concerns posted above, and stay in the spirit of the rules. It's a shame I couldn't just have a securely fastened passenger. But I think I'll fill the tank and reweigh with me in it. It will have gained wiegh with the addition of the turbo system. Then see how much balist I need to get to 1700lbs.
    Thanks all
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner