Street class tire width question
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Chriswd62

--
05 Apr 2015 08:24 PM
    I need some help choosing the right tire width for my CLA45 in Super Street class this season. The car came with 19x8 wheels and 235/35-19 tires. I'm getting ready to order a set of Hankook R-S3 tires; however, I don't know if I should stick with the factory tire size or go with 245/35-19s. I know I really should consider downsizing to a lighter set of 18x8's, but right now that's not an option. I've read recently that wider isn't always better when it comes to street tires on narrower wheel, so that makes me question whether there would be any advantage to running wider than factory width. 245s are the max size recommended for 19x8 wheels per the tire manufacturer, so I know they will technically work fine. I'd love to hear some feedback from those of you who've run the R-S3s in the past. Thanks!
    CoachMK21

--
    10 Apr 2015 01:22 PM
    I'm by no means an expert, but I can share what I'm doing. I have a 350z with 18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear and I also use the RS-3's. Love the tire, so good choice at this point in my opinion. I have 245/40 on the front and 265/40 on the rear. I wasn't sure how well they would fit (225/45 and 245/45 are stock sizes), but after seeing the tire on the rim, I'm confident that 255 and maybe 265 would fit on the 8" rim, but it would be pretty stretched.

I'd suggest going with the 245's you mentioned, unless of course someone else has some direct knowledge of 255 or 265 on 8" rims.
    twistedwankel

--
    10 Apr 2015 02:18 PM

I never cease to be amazed what some people do forcing RS-3 tires on tall narrow rims. 245's on 7"x17" S2k. He did this with a cheater bar NOT a tire machine.

A Goodyear tire misprint got me to put "R" BFG 225's on a 6"x16" Talon AWD rim and the tire guys cussed everytime. But they worked for autocross being an "R" tire NOT an "ST".

If you trailer an autocross car you can get away with some weird sizing and alignments. The bead gets pulled away from the rim in the narrow aspect tires leaving the tread arched - not flat. I would never do this on a car driven at high speeds and expect it to be speed rated anymore all bent out of shape.

Be sure you won't have any "rubbing" inside issues also. I put a 225/50 on a 15"x7" rim and the tire rubbed on the strut under hard cornering requiring a legal 1/4" spacer.

You will find going to the 245 from 235 you will get better lateral grip BUT you will lose some steering quickness so it's a tradeoff. Which one is cheaper in the proper size? That's my rule. I picked up a used set of clean TR 17x9 rims $400 and put 255/40's on there. Tons of grip but it put me into STX in an otherwise stock car. The tires are WAY cheaper and plentiful in available Brands. they will last me two seasons of FL autocrossing twice monthly.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to call Tirerack or any other big tire reselling company for advice. It's free.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Apr 2015 06:12 PM
    go with the 245's. The slightly taller sidewall will also give you more protection against potholes. 245's on a set of 19x8's should be no big deal.
    Chriswd62

--
    13 Apr 2015 08:46 PM
    Thank you all for the feedback. I think I'll go with the 245s, as they are a bit cheaper too.
    wrandleman

--
    14 Apr 2015 04:34 PM
    In general it seems finding out what was working for the A6 in Stock then going one size narrow has worked extremely well for Street.
    cretinx

--
    30 Jun 2015 11:18 AM
    245 is the limit I would go on an 8" wheel.
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Jun 2015 05:52 PM
    I've run 255/35-18 ZII* and RE-71R on 8x18 wheels with no issues. It's a little overtired, but the sidewalls are stiff enough to handle it well. I've seen a lot of people very successfully run a lot more stuff than me, too.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner