Rebuilding a Racecar
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Kucharski94

--
22 Apr 2015 04:10 PM

I am rebuilding an old SCCA registered 1978 Mini Cooper its last race was in 1997 and it has a blown motor, I know a lot of the specs on the car have changed and I will be adjusting what it has in order to fulfill the new requirements but the main things I can't find are a weight requirement and which class it should be running in (it used to be GT5 class), any help?

Photos of the Car:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/bce89ce39853482ace8df8e47225d8a4/tumblr_nk7mceqb9T1ung1mao8_1280.jpg

http://40.media.tumblr.com/31b34da5493de258696ad1b11c194485/tumblr_nk7mceqb9T1ung1mao3_1280.jpg

Attachments
    dkmura

--
    22 Apr 2015 10:29 PM
    Here some help: the Mini fits in the GTL class. Depending on engine size, weight varys from 1160 to 1330 lbs. Check the GCR for specifics.
    Kucharski94

--
    23 Apr 2015 01:32 PM

Thanks for your reply I will look in to the specifics!

npurvis

--
    16 May 2015 12:49 AM

I 'm sitting here checking out gt5 mini pictures , and what do I see ,my old race car.It's too bad,it looks like it's been left to rot .I never sold it in that condition.If you have any questions let me know.

TheOneTrueScotsman

--
    17 May 2015 02:13 PM

This is your old racecar?? I'm the one rebuilding it, what happened to it? When did you sell it?

npurvis

--
    18 May 2015 10:51 PM

I sold the car in the fall of 1997 to a guy in Texas. The last time I raced the car was at Mosport Park out side Toronto Canada.I think the guy that bought it from me just wanted to do track days.They put a hood scoop on it which is not Scca legal .Did you get a log book with it?I bought the car as an x race car body shell in Toronto in about 1979.I first raced the car when I moved to British Columbia in 1985 at Westwood race track…Seattle Race track…Portland race track , moved back east in 1992 and ran in the Northeast Division.Thanks for getting back to me.

TheOneTrueScotsman

--
    19 May 2015 11:00 AM

That must be who I bought it from, a guy named Peter sold it to me cause it had a blown motor. Why is the hood scoop illegal? Do you know what year the car was originally produced? I have not seen a log book in the car so I don't think it came with one. Thanks for all the help!

npurvis

--
    20 May 2015 10:57 PM

I think the car is a1966 Mini to the best of my knowledge,there is a CASC (Canadian automobile sports clubs) Id number plate on the dash.I used to have a CASC log book and when it got filled up I was issued a new SCCA log book, so maybe the SCCA has a record of it.You need to check out the competition rules on the SCCA web site as far as the hood scoop is concerned.How did you come across the car and how long has it been just sitting around doing nothing and where is the car living now.I can not believe that all the stickers that I put on are still there.The last time I raced the car was in 1998 not 1997 like I thought.

TheOneTrueScotsman

--
    30 May 2015 09:41 PM

I will try contacting the SCCA and see if they have a record of it. I've checked the web site, and haven't seen anything regarding the hood scoop. Probably something I will have to call about. I was working downtown Houston at a place called Custom Car Stereo when I came across the car. A guy named Peter had the car, and I'm guessing after the engine blew he gave it to Drex. After Drex received it, he just stuck it in a open spot at Custom Car Stereo and left it. I'm guessing it's been just sitting since 2002 or 2003 since that's how old the tires are are. I bought the car from Drex, and now it's in my garage where is's being rebuilt. It's almost down to the shell where I'm struggling with the steering rack right now, and it's fixing to go in and get a new paint job. If you don't mind, can I possibly have your e-mail so I can ask you some further questions, and I can send you some Pictures of the car as well? 

npurvis

--
    01 Jun 2015 06:43 PM

I don't mind at all I'm just happy it's being used. My email is njpurvis@gmail.com

mighty mouse

--
    04 Dec 2015 06:56 PM

You might consider running SCCA's new prepared class, Heritage Class in solo.  Weight would be 1450 with a 1275 motor. Call me and I can put you in touch with a guy that runs one in HC.

Craig   619-851-8502

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner